Orissa chief minister slams fuel hikeJune 12th, 2008 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 12 (IANS) Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Thursday lashed out against the central government for the fuel price hike, saying it would affect the people of his state. “The fuel price hike will affect common people in Orissa. It is an anti-people act of the central government,” Patnaik told thousands of his party activists gathered here to protest the hike in prices of diesel, petrol and cooking gas. He also said the central government was neglecting his state.
Thousands of activists of the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) arrived from across the state in buses and trains. They shouted slogans against the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) central government and took out processions before assembling near the PMG square in the centre of the city.
“We will take the protest to every village in the state,” BJD general secretary Damodar Rout said. The rally marked the conclusion of a five-day protest the party had launched Sunday.
“This is not the end. Our fight against the Congress-led central government will continue,” he said.
“Orissa is going to be affected more because 87 percent of its total population has a per day spending capacity of only Rs.12 each and they cannot bear this hike,” Rout told IANS.
The central government on June 4 hiked the prices of petrol and diesel by Rs.5 and Rs.3 a litre respectively and of cooking gas by Rs.50 per cylinder.
To soften the hike, the Orissa government reduced value added tax (VAT) on petrol and diesel by two percent on June 6.
Petrol is now available in the state at Rs.50.82 a litre and diesel Rs.37.25 a litre. Private bus owners have threatened agitation if the state government does not hike bus fares.
- BJD legislators ride bicycles to protest fuel price hike - Jun 28, 2010
- Orissa shutdown July 5 over fuel price hike (Lead) - Jun 28, 2010
- Hundreds court arrest in Orissa (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- All-India strike delays Orissa university exams - Jul 03, 2010
- Odisha protests diesel price hike, cap on cooking gas - Sep 14, 2012
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Intro Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- Shutdown in Tripura Monday over hiked fuel prices - Jun 25, 2011
- Orissa waives tax on cooking gas, kerosene - Jun 29, 2011
- Protests in Orissa over fuel price hike - Jun 26, 2010
- Shutdown against fuel price hike hits Orissa - Jul 05, 2010
- Thackeray slams petrol price hike - May 25, 2012
- Opposition calls all-India shutdown July 5 (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Will analyse diesel price hike effect: Dikshit - Jul 04, 2011
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.6.28 plus taxes, industry welcomes move (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
Tags: bjd, bus fares, bus owners, buses and trains, central government, chief minister, common people, damodar, fuel price hike, general secretary, litre, naveen patnaik, orissa government, party activists, petrol, private bus, progressive alliance, rout, rs 50, total population