Orissa assembly disrupted again over university issueNovember 24th, 2010 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 24 (IANS) Orissa’s opposition parties disrupted assembly proceedings for the second consecutive day Wednesday demanding the resignation of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik over land acquisition for a proposed university.
The trouble over land acquisition for Vedanta university started during the question hour when Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress raised the issue. Soon, he was joined by others.
Carrying posters, the opposition members rushed to Speaker Pradip Amat’s podium and shouted slogans against the government forcing the speaker to adjourn the house.
As the opposition remained adamant even after several adjournments, the speaker adjourned the house for the day. The house conducted business for less then 20 minutes during the day.
The speaker later called an all-party meeting to resolve the stalemate.
The Orissa High Court earlier this month quashed the process of land acquisition for the proposed Vedanta University. It directed the authorities to return the acquired land to their owners.
The university, proposed to be set up by the Anil Agarwal Foundation promoted by NRI industrialist and Britain-based Vedanta Resources chairman Anil Agarwal, was to come up on over 6,000 acres of land with a phased investment of Rs.150 billion ($3.5 billion) near the Konark-Puri marine drive, some 60 km from here.
After the high court’s direction to return the land acquired for the proposed university, the chief minister said the government would examine the decision and take appropriate action.
- Orissa assembly adjourned over Vedanta varsity issue - Nov 23, 2010
- Patnaik defends Vedanta varsity decision - Nov 25, 2010
- Orissa legislator jumps on speaker's table - Dec 14, 2010
- Land acquisition for Vedanta University quashed - Nov 16, 2010
- Orissa rally to celebrate dumping of university plan - Nov 30, 2010
- BJP activists burn effigies of Patnaik over Vedanta issue - Nov 17, 2010
- Protests in Orissa over varsity land issue - Nov 18, 2010
- Vedanta University project gets environmental clearance - Apr 17, 2010
- Vedanta University: Apex court orders status quo (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Environment ministry puts on hold Vedanta varsity in Orissa - May 11, 2010
- Orissa moves apex court on proposed Vedanta university - Dec 15, 2010
- Supreme Court bench again avoids Vedanta hearing - Jan 21, 2011
- Controversial Vedanta University gets Orissa assembly nod - Jul 30, 2009
- Vedanta University Bill re-introduced in Orissa assembly - Jul 25, 2009
- Vedanta University: Apex court orders status quo - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: amat, anil agarwal foundation, assembly proceedings, authorities, chief minister, congress, industrialist, konark, land acquisition, leader of opposition, opposition members, opposition parties, orissa high court, podium, posters, pradip, resignation, slogans, stalemate, vedanta university