Orissa assembly adjourned over Vedanta varsity issueNovember 23rd, 2010 - 8:21 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 23 (IANS) The Orissa assembly was adjourned several times Tuesday, on the first day of its winter session, and finally for the day as the opposition disrupted proceedings and demanded resignation of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik over Vedanta varsity issue.
As soon as the question hour ended, Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh raised the issue and he was joined by other opposition members.
Demanding resignation of Patnaik over the indictment of the government by the Orissa High Court, the opposition members trooped towards the speaker’s podium and shouted slogans, making it impossible for Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat to conduct business. As the opposition remained adamant even after several adjournments, the house was adjourned for the day.
The Orissa High Court last week quashed the process of land acquisition for the proposed Vedanta University and directed the authorities to return the acquired lands to their owners.
The university, proposed to be set up by the Anil Agarwal Foundation, promoted by NRI industrialist and Britain-based Vedanta Resources chairman Anil Agarwal, was to come up on over 6,000 acres of land with a phased investment of Rs.150 billion ($3.5 billion) near the Konark-Puri marine drive, some 60 km from here.
After the high court’s direction to return the land acquired for the proposed university, the chief minister said his government will examine the decision and take appropriate action.
The winter session has 24 working days and is scheduled to continue till Dec 22.
- Orissa assembly disrupted again over university issue - Nov 24, 2010
- Patnaik defends Vedanta varsity decision - Nov 25, 2010
- Orissa legislator jumps on speaker's table - Dec 14, 2010
- BJP activists burn effigies of Patnaik over Vedanta issue - Nov 17, 2010
- Orissa rally to celebrate dumping of university plan - Nov 30, 2010
- Land acquisition for Vedanta University quashed - Nov 16, 2010
- Protests in Orissa over varsity land issue - Nov 18, 2010
- Orissa moves apex court on proposed Vedanta university - Dec 15, 2010
- Vedanta University project gets environmental clearance - Apr 17, 2010
- Legislator throws pen stand at Orissa speaker - Dec 20, 2010
- Vedanta University: Apex court orders status quo (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Supreme Court bench again avoids Vedanta hearing - Jan 21, 2011
- Orissa assembly adjourned over pulses scam - Feb 15, 2011
- Environment ministry puts on hold Vedanta varsity in Orissa - May 11, 2010
- Uproar in Orissa assembly over hostage crisis - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: anil agarwal foundation, authorities, chief minister, indictment, industrialist, konark, land acquisition, leader of opposition, opposition members, orissa high court, podium, pradip, proceedings, resignation, several times, slogans, vedanta university, winter session