Orissa assembly adjourned over minister’s alleged sex escapadesDecember 1st, 2008 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Dec 1 (IANS) Speaker Kishor Mohanty adjourned the Orissa assembly Monday till the afternoon after the opposition stalled proceedings over alleged sex escapades of a state minister.The opposition shouted slogans demanding the resignation of the State Revenue Minister Manmohan Samal and a statement from Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on the matter.
A section of the local media had reported last week that Samal was involved in an affair with a woman from his constituency and had spent a night with her recently in Delhi.
Although Samal termed the allegation as baseless, he, however, in a statement admitted that he had met a woman from his constituency during his stay at the Orissa Bhavan in Delhi in November.
The minister also said that he had helped arrange the stay of the woman in the Bhavan because he considered it his duty as a public representative.
But members of the Congress, the main opposition party in the state alleged that the minister was involved in an extra marital affair with the woman.
It is not the first time that such a scandal has troubled the Biju Janata Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party coalition government in the state.
On March 31 this year, Maheswar Mohanty from the BJD had resigned as the Orissa assembly speaker after a woman employee of the state’s legislative assembly accused him of sexual harassment.
- Six new ministers in Orissa cabinet (Lead) - May 10, 2011
- Orissa minister resigns over sex scandal - Dec 10, 2008
- Legislator throws pen stand at Orissa speaker - Dec 20, 2010
- Central government neglecting Orissa: Naveen Patnaik - Aug 10, 2011
- Kishore Kumar Mohanty set to become Orissa speaker - Aug 18, 2008
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Maharashtra opposition demands Deshmukh's resignation - Dec 16, 2010
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Dissident BJD leader's forum a parallel platform? - Oct 12, 2011
- Minister reinducted in Tripura amidst controversy - Feb 12, 2012
- Tripura Left Front ministry to be expanded Sunday - Feb 10, 2012
- Odisha gangrape: Minister resigns (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik could have prevented Saraswati's murder: BJP ex-minister - Mar 10, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir deputy speaker not to take back resignation - Mar 09, 2011
- Orissa opposition protests assembly adjournment - Dec 06, 2009