Order on CEC plea for CBI probe against Yeddyurappa withheldApril 20th, 2012 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Bangalore, April 20 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday withheld its order on the recommendation of the Central Empowered Committee (CEC) for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the graft charges against former Karnataka chief minister B.S. Yeddyurappa in the multi-crore-rupee mining scam in the state.
“The special three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia did not consider the CEC report at this stage, as a special leave petition (SLP) against the Karnataka High Court judgment of March 7 quashing bribery charges against Yeddyurappa is pending before another bench of the apex court,” Yeddyurappa’s counsel Prabhu Linga Navadgi told IANS.
When the report of the apex court-appointed CEC was presented before the special bench for consideration, Justice Kapadia observed that “since this issue (SLP) is posted for hearing April 23 before another bench of the apex court, the question of ordering investigation at this stage does not arise.”
The SLP was filed last week by Vishwanath, a resident of Ramanagara, about 40 km from Bangalore.
“As the SLP was before another bench, the Chief Justice felt that it may not be proper to consider the CEC report at this stage,” Navadgi pointed out.
The CEC on environmental matters, which has been probing massive illegal mining in the state, also suggested a probe into a possible link between the kickbacks and the grant of mining lease to a businessman, Praveen Chandra, during Yeddyurappa’s tenure between May 2008 and July 2011.
An NGO, Samaja Parivartana Samudaya, had submitted documents to the CEC, seeking a CBI probe into charges that a trust run by Yeddyurappa’s kin had benefited financially from mining firms in return for favours from the former chief minister.
- Apex court tells CBI to probe graft charges against Yeddyurappa (Second Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Facing possible CBI probe, Yeddyurappa banks on apex court (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Apex court tells CBI to probe graft charges against Yeddyurappa (Third Lead) - May 11, 2012
- SC asks CBI to probe if Yeddyurappa kin got kickbacks (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Apex court to pass order on Yeddyurappa case next week - May 04, 2012
- CBI probe recommended against Yeddyurappa kin (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Apex court order in Yeddyurappa case next week (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Yeddyurappa, kin get anticipatory bail in bribery case (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- CBI probe recommended against Yeddyurappa kin - Apr 20, 2012
- Illegal mining by Adani, Jindal group to be probed: Apex court - Nov 18, 2011
- Yeddyurappa seeks anticipatory bail as CBI raids continue (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- No resumption of Karnataka mining without rehabilitation: Apex court - Aug 17, 2012
- Apex court approves reclamation of Karnataka mines - Apr 13, 2012
- Apex court asks CBI to probe Karnataka illegal mining - Sep 23, 2011
- Evidence of mining kickbacks to Yeddyurappa: NGO - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, bribery charges, cbi probe, cec report, central bureau of investigation, chandra, chief justice, court judgment, crore, environmental matters, favours, graft charges, kapadia, karnataka chief minister, karnataka high court, kickbacks, samaja, slp, vishwanath