Opposition wants CBI under LokpalDecember 14th, 2011 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 14 (IANS) Opposition parties have demanded that the CBI should be an independent and transparent body under the Lokpal.
Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) leader Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa, who emerged from the ongoing all-party meeting on the Lokpal bill, told reporters he had demanded that the Central Bureau of Investigation should be an independent body.
BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and other opposition leaders demanded that the prime minister should be under the purview of the Lokpal, he added.
Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader Pyarimohan Mohapatra, who also spoke to reporters, said the party wanted a mechanism to ensure the CBI is independent and transparent.
Earlier, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said the government is “committed” to implementing in “letter and spirit” a good and effective Lokpal bill that would have a quick and positive impact in fighting corruption.
The all-party meet, being held at Manmohan Singh’s 7, Race Course Road, has been called to evolve a political consensus on the contentious bill.
Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, senior BJP leader L.K. Advani and leaders of all parties are attending the meet which began at 7 p.m.
- 'PM, Group C employees may be brought under Lokpal ambit' - Dec 12, 2011
- CPM for inclusion of prime minister in Lokpal purview (Lead) - Dec 15, 2011
- BSP backs Anna, Lokpal heat is on government (Roundup) - Dec 13, 2011
- Government okays key anti-graft bills to counter Anna threat - Dec 14, 2011
- No hurried decision on Lokpal, parties told government at meet - Dec 15, 2011
- PM calls all-party meeting on Lokpal bill - Jun 24, 2011
- As Anna fasts, parliament divided over Lokpal (Night Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Punjab leaders hail move on Sikh marriage Act - Apr 12, 2012
- Congress core group meets ahead of UPA meeting - Dec 13, 2011
- Dissident leader upset but rules out split in BJD - May 30, 2012
- Consensus eludes all-party meet on Lokpal bill (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Anna gets Left, right support for strong Lokpal (Roundup) - Dec 11, 2011
- No consensus on Lokpal bill at all-party meeting (Intro Roundup) - Dec 15, 2011
- IT notice to Gujarat government disrupts Rajya Sabha - Mar 16, 2011
- No consensus at all-party meet on Lokpal bill - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: bill congress, central bureau of investigation, congress chief, contentious bill, dhindsa, independent body, janata, l k advani, manmohan, manmohan singh, mohapatra, opposition leaders, opposition parties, political consensus, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sad leader, sonia gandhi, swaraj, transparent body