Opposition walks out over Pawar’s reply on price riseFebruary 25th, 2010 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 25 (IANS) Opposition parties, barring the Biju Janata Dal (BJD), staged walkouts from the Lok Sabha Thursday to protest Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar’s statement that the prices of essential commodities were coming down.
The Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and the Left parties walkeed out from the house separately when Pawar, while replying to the discussion on rising prices, remarked that “it is hard for you to digest that prices are coming down”.
The BJP-led National Democratic Alliance constituents also staged a walkout.
The MPs protested when Pawar countered the opposition’s charge by quoting various newspaper reports which said prices are under control.
Quoting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Pawar said: “The worst time is over. I am sure the situation will change.” He said he was hopeful that the situation faced by people on the price front would ease out.
Pawar, who faced repeated interjections from opposition MPs, notably Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj of the Bharatiya Janata Party, said the government had taken care to raise incomes of farmers by raising the minimum support price.
He added that 62 percent of the country’s population was dependent on agriculture.
Sushma Swaraj, who came to the house with her latest grocery bill and spoke in part of her role as a homemaker, repeatedly disputed the figures given by Pawar for prices of various essential items.
She asked the minister about the reasons for the vast difference between the farm price and the retail price.
Protesting Pawar’s refusal to accept that there is food inflation in the country, the BJP-led NDA staged a walkout.
Pawar continued with his reply after the opposition had walked out.
- Sharad slap unites Indian politicians - Nov 25, 2011
- Where is CWG probe report, asks opposition (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- All-party meet fails to evolve consensus on women's quota bill (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- BJP activists walkout of Jammu and Kashmir Assembly - Feb 28, 2011
- Opposition united on Mamata bashing, divided on CWG protests (Evening Lead) - Aug 10, 2010
- Day 3 in Parliament: No work, logjam on over price rise, Telangana - Nov 24, 2011
- Opposition walk outs during Gill's CWG statement - Aug 10, 2010
- BJD calls Odisha shutdown against petrol price hike - May 25, 2012
- Advani, Sushma Swaraj skip Meira Kumar's tea party - Sep 08, 2011
- After Chidambaram, opposition now guns for Krishna - Dec 09, 2011
- Both houses of parliament adjourned over price rise - Jul 27, 2010
- BJP boycotts Lok Sabha to join rally against price rise - Apr 21, 2010
- BJP stages protest in parliament complex - Sep 08, 2011
- Uproar over price rise stalls parliament (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2010
- Congress MP breaks down over Gujarat police action (Lead) - May 02, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, bharatiya janata party, biju, bjd, grocery bill, leader of opposition, left parties, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, national democratic alliance, opposition parties, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rjd, Samajwadi Party, sharad pawar, sushma swaraj, walkout, walkouts, worst time