Opposition uproar forces Lok Sabha adjournment till noonMay 22nd, 2012 - 1:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Opposition uproar over a train accident in Andhra Pradesh that claimed 15 lives and a government auditor’s report on coal blocks allocation led to an adjournment of the Lok Sabha till noon Tuesday.
Soon after it met on the last day of the budget session, members from the opposition benches raised the two issues, just as Speaker Meira Kumar took up the question hour.
However, opposition members, particularly from the Left parties, raised slogans and waved a newspaper copy carrying the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report on the allocation of coal blocks between 2004 and 2009 without auction, which the CAG said resulted in undue benefit to private parties to the tune of Rs.1.8 lakh crore (US $40 billion).
Some other opposition members raised the urgent issue of the train accident involving the Hampi Express that hit a stationary goods train in Anantapur district. The accident killed 15 persons in the early hours of Tuesday.
The agitated opposition members trooped towards the speaker’s chair and continued with their slogan shouting.
As her plea to let the question hour continue went unheeded, Meira Kumar adjourned the house till noon.
- Coal 'scam' disrupts parliament (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Furore in Lok Sabha over coal scam - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand, parliament adjourned again (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Parliament disrupted again over coal block allocation - Aug 22, 2012
- Parliament again disrupted over coal scam - Aug 23, 2012
- BJP corners PM over coal scam, parliament disrupted (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP disrupts parliament again (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Coal fuels parliament disruptions for sixth day (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Last day of session: parliament disrupted again - Sep 07, 2012
- Logjam continues, parliament adjourned (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- After 13 days of disruption, monsoon session ends (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- BJP renews demand for PM's resignation, disrupts parliament (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Coal allotment: Chorus for PM's resignation, parliament adjourned (Third Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP corners PM over coal allotment, Lok Sabha adjourned (Second Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: adjournment, budget session, cag report, comptroller, goods train, government auditor, hampi, lakh, left parties, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, opposition benches, opposition members, private parties, rs 1, session members, slogans, stationary goods, train accident, uproar