Opposition UDF meets Kerala governor in Lavalin scamMay 8th, 2009 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 8 (IANS) Congress-led opposition United Democratic Front (UDF) submitted a memorandum to Kerala Governor R.S. Gavai that details the SNC Lavalin corruption case in which Communist Party of India-Marxist’s (CPI-M) state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan is an accused.
“We gave him a 12-page memorandum which contains the details of the case and also of precedents where the governor has taken a view different from the opinion of the state government. He heard all what we had to say and we expect that he will take a decision,” Leader of Opposition Oommen Chandy told reporters here.
Vijayan has been accused of wrongly awarding contracts to Canadian company SNC Lavalin for renovation of two hydro-power projects when he was the state power minister 12 years ago.
On Feb 4, the government sought legal opinion on the Central Bureau of Investigation’s petition seeking the governor’s sanction to prosecute Vijayan.
The state advocate general last week submitted his opinion which reportedly said that sanction to prosecute need not be given as the charges against Vijayan are not clear.
“We are all the more surprised because (Kerala Chief Minister V.S.) Achuthanandan always speaks of fighting corruption and now they are shielding and protecting the corrupt,” Chandy said.
Chandy also said that the memorandum requests the governor to intervene in the case.
This is the second time that the opposition has met the governor asking him to grant permission to prosecute Vijayan. The UDF leaders had met Gavai and submitted a memorandum on the issue March 5 also.
According to the rules, the governor’s permission is necessary to prosecute a minister or a former minister.
“We will wait to see what happens and the future course of action will be decided when we (the UDF) meet on May 12,” Chandy said.
- Is Kerala CM under pressure to quit for opposing clean chit to Vijayan? - May 08, 2009
- Opposition meets Kerala governor, wants Lavalin case speeded up - Mar 27, 2009
- Kerala opposition demands Vijayan's prosecution - May 02, 2009
- Will Kerala government sanction Vijayan's prosecution? - May 04, 2009
- Opposition accuses Kerala Govt of leaking out cabinet decision, stages walkout - Sep 09, 2009
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- Kerala opposition asks Achuthanandan to prosecute Vijayan - Mar 05, 2009
- My report does not protect Vijayan: Kerala advocate general - May 05, 2009
- Governor to take decision on SNC Lavalin graft case - May 12, 2009
- SNC Lavalin graft case: Kerala Governor sanctions CBI probe of Vijayan - Jun 07, 2009
- Lavalin case reverberates in Kerala assembly - Feb 13, 2009
- Opposition calls for Kerala shutdown for Vijayan's prosecution - May 06, 2009
- CBI files chargesheet against CPI-M leader Vijayan - Jun 11, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- CBI gets nod to prosecute Vijayan, CPI-M to fight case (Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
Tags: according to the rules, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, corruption case, CPI, democratic front, hydro power projects, leader of opposition, legal opinion, page memorandum, pinarayi vijayan, power minister, sanction, snc lavalin, state advocate, state secretary, udf, v s achuthanandan