Opposition slams Tamil Nadu for ignoring fishermen’s woesOctober 2nd, 2008 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 2 (IANS) Opposition leaders belonging to the Communist Party of India (CPI) and the MDMK Thursday criticise the Tamil Nadu and central governments for ignoring the sufferings of Indian fishermen at the hands of Sri Lankan defence personnel.CPI national secretary D. Raja demanded a debate in parliament to expose the perfidy of the Sri Lankan defence establishment in attacking Indian fishermen without any provocation.
“We want a parliamentary debate to expose our fishermen’s travails at the hands of Sri Lankan Navy around Kachchatheevu that was wrongly ceded to our neighbouring island in the seventies. Our government should demand its return,” he said.
Assailing the centre for short-changing Indian and Sri Lankan Tamils, MDMK general secretary Vaiko called for an immediate halt to the killings of “innocent Indian fishermen” in the Palk Strait and military aid to the “Sinhalese chauvinist regime” in Colombo.
“Ministers from Tamil Nadu are occupying vital positions in the central government. Yet they did not lift a little finger to alleviate the sufferings of Tamil fishermen in India and the suffering minority Tamils in Sri Lanka. If it had a sense of belonging, the ruling DMK should have threatened to quit the union cabinet,” said D. Pandian, state secretary of the CPI.
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Jayalalithaa writes to PM over attacks on fishermen - Oct 11, 2011
- Secure fishermen's release from Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Jul 05, 2012
- Centre should take tough stand on Lankan Navy attacks: Vaiko - Aug 13, 2010
- 23 Indian fishermen released by Sri Lanka: Krishna - Jul 27, 2012
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Seek release of Indian advocate held in Sri Lanka: Vaiko - Jan 21, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- Attacks on fishermen should be seen as provocation: Jayalalithaa - Oct 09, 2011
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to implead itself in Katchathivu case - Jun 09, 2011
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu parties again demand India back US UNHRC resolution - Mar 13, 2012
- India-Sri Lanka joint sea patrolling sought - Mar 29, 2012