Opposition meets Kerala governor, wants Lavalin case speeded upMarch 27th, 2009 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 27 (IANS) The opposition parties in Kerala Friday met Governor R.S. Gavai to seek his intervention to speed up prosecution in SNS Lavalin corruption case in which ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Pinarayi Vijayan is an accused.
“The people of Kerala are eagerly waiting to know what is going to happen in this sensational case of corruption. Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan is helpless in this aspect and hence we had no other way but to ask the governor,” Leader of Opposition in the state assembly Oomen Chandy told reporters here.
Vijayan has been accused of wrongly awarding contracts to Canadian company SNC Lavalin for renovating two hydro-power projects when he was power minister of the state 12 years ago.
The opposition March 5 met Achuthanandan on Central Bureau of Investigation’s petition to prosecute Vijayan.
On Feb 4, the government sought legal opinion on the CBI’s petition seeking the governor’s sanction to prosecute Vijayan, an arch rival of Achuthanandan.
According to rules, the governor’s permission is necessary to prosecute a minister or a former minister.
The state cabinet then gave three weeks’ time to get the opinion from Advocate General C.P. Sudhakara Prasad.
Chandy said that time is over and the government is purposely delaying the sanction to prosecute Vijayan.
“Hence the state government is now first accused in the case by failing to do their job,” said Chandy.
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- Kerala opposition asks Achuthanandan to prosecute Vijayan - Mar 05, 2009
- My report does not protect Vijayan: Kerala advocate general - May 05, 2009
- Kerala opposition demands Vijayan's prosecution - May 02, 2009
- Opposition UDF meets Kerala governor in Lavalin scam - May 08, 2009
- Kerala seeks legal opinion on CBI plea to prosecute Vijayan - Feb 04, 2009
- CBI files chargesheet against CPI-M leader Vijayan - Jun 11, 2009
- Make Kerala home minister accused in Lavalin case: Petition - May 05, 2011
- Opposition calls for Kerala shutdown for Vijayan's prosecution - May 06, 2009
- Will Kerala government sanction Vijayan's prosecution? - May 04, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- CBI gets nod to prosecute Vijayan, CPI-M to fight case (Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Lavalin case reverberates in Kerala assembly - Feb 13, 2009
- Opposition accuses Kerala Govt of leaking out cabinet decision, stages walkout - Sep 09, 2009
- SNC Lavalin graft case: Kerala Governor sanctions CBI probe of Vijayan - Jun 07, 2009
Tags: advocate general, arch rival, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, corruption case, hydro power projects, leader of opposition, legal opinion, oomen chandy, opposition parties, pinarayi vijayan, power minister, ruling communist party, sensational case, state assembly, state cabinet, v s achuthanandan