Opposition files privilege notice against ChandyJune 4th, 2011 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 4 (IANS) Kerala’s opposition Left Democratic Front (LDF) Saturday slapped a notice of breach of privilege against Chief Minister Oommen Chandy for making policy announcements publicly when the assembly is in session.
The notice was given by Deputy Leader of Opposition and former home minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan to Speaker G.Karthikeyan.
Balakrishnan, in his notice, alleged Chandy was made policy announcements at a public presentation Thursday in violation of the rules and procedures of the assembly.
As per the convention and practice of the assembly, no new policy initiatives of the government should be announced in public when the state assembly is in session, particularly when the governor’s address has not been made.
Chandy made announcements about what his government plans to do in its first 100 days.
“The governor’s address is scheduled for 24th of this month (June 24) and moreover the assembly has not been adjourned sine die after a two-day session that ended on June 2 and hence this is a breach of privilege done by the chief minister,” said the notice.
Chandy, sworn in the 21st chief minister of the state May 18, has a wafer-thin majority in the assembly and the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) led opposition has already warned the Chandy government that it would lose no opportunity to pin the government down.
The Chandy-led government has 73 seats, while the opposition has 68 members in the 141-member assembly, which includes one nominated Anglo-Indian member.
- I will be an impartial speaker: Karthikeyan - Jun 22, 2011
- Members almost come to blows in Kerala house - Jun 30, 2011
- 4 Left legislators willing to cross over: Kerala UDF leader - Apr 23, 2012
- Chandy's boat sails in troubled waters (News Analysis) - May 23, 2011
- G. Karthikeyan of Congress elected Kerala speaker (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Kerala assembly stalled, opposition demands IUML member's arrest - Jun 12, 2012
- In Kerala by-election, it is Chandy versus Achuthanandan - Mar 09, 2012
- Karthikeyan to contest for Speaker's post - May 30, 2011
- Selvaraj, now of Congress, writes himself into a record - Jun 18, 2012
- Kerala opposition demands Chandy's resignation - Sep 26, 2011
- Left disrupts Kerala assembly proceedings - Nov 03, 2011
- Kerala opposition demands emergency assembly session - Jul 20, 2011
- Kerala High Court, assembly unhappy over petrol price hike - Nov 04, 2011
- On average, five walkouts a year by Congress in Himachal - Aug 30, 2012
- Kerala house adjourns over remarks against Achuthanandan - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: anglo indian, balakrishnan, chandy, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, democratic front, deputy leader, home minister, karthikeyan, kerala, leader of opposition, member assembly, policy announcements, policy initiatives, public presentation, state assembly, thiruvananthapuram, wafer