Opposition disrupts Tripura assemblySeptember 5th, 2011 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Sep 5 (IANS) The Tripura assembly witnessed pandemonium Monday with the opposition Congress demanding a probe into the mysterious death of a youth and the police baton charge on Congress protesters in July.
Congress and Indigenous Nationalist Party of Tripura (INPT) legislators led by opposition leader Ratan Lal Nath have been vociferously demanding a judicial probe by a sitting high court judge into the July incidents and a Central Bureau of Investigation inquiry into the gunning down of 21-year-old Papai Saha.
Saha was shot dead by an “unidentified police personnel” while 111 people, including 28 policemen and 11 journalists, were injured in Agartala on July 10 and 11 in a series of clashes between the police and Congress workers protesting over the government’s alleged “discriminatory policies” towards the medical students.
Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, who also holds the home portfolio, told the agitated members that the report of the magisterial inquiry into the July 10 and 11 incidents was being examined while the CID (Criminal Investigation Department) has been probing the incidents.
“We have no faith on the Left Front government, its administration and CID inquiry. We want a judicial and CBI inquiries,” Nath and other party colleagues told the house.
The Congress and INPT legislators disrupted the proceedings on the first day of the monsoon session of the Tripura assembly Friday, forcing Speaker Ramendra Chandra Debnath to adjourn the house three times.
- Tripura assembly sees chaos; 'Fake SC status' of ruling Left MLA - Sep 21, 2012
- Opposition disrupts Tripura assembly over rape incident - Mar 22, 2012
- Bedlam in Tripura assembly over July protests - Sep 02, 2011
- Congress leaders fast in Tripura - Feb 09, 2012
- Tripura Congress holds sit-in fast to press demands (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Feb 09, 2012
- Tripura budget presented amid bedlam - Jun 11, 2010
- One killed, 41 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 11, 2011
- Pandemonium in Tripura assembly over chief minister's remarks - Dec 15, 2009
- Congress MLAs disrupt Tripura assembly - Mar 09, 2011
- Limited Tripura assembly sessions attack on democracy: Congress - Mar 09, 2012
- Tripura journalists protest police baton assault - Jul 19, 2011
- 12-hour shutdown cripples life in Tripura - Jul 13, 2012
- Pradip Kumar Sarkar appointed Tripura Lokayukta - Dec 13, 2011
- 70 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 10, 2011
- Congress to boycott Sarkar for terror nexus comments - Dec 16, 2009
Tags: cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, congress workers, criminal investigation department, discriminatory policies, home portfolio, judicial probe, lal, magisterial inquiry, manik, monsoon session, mysterious death, nationalist party, opposition congress, opposition leader, pandemonium, party colleagues, police baton, sarkar