Only 55 women contesting Bangladesh pollDecember 13th, 2008 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Dec 13 (IANS) Despite two women dominating Bangladesh’s political spectrum, the ninth general election later this month will see only 55 women among the 1,565 candidates vying for 300 seats - but this is still higher than at any time in the past.Women candidates are contesting from 60 constituencies, indicating that in most places, they will face each other.
A consolation would come in the form of nomination of 30 women after the election.
The figure of women contestants is up this time. In the 2001 national elections, 38 women candidates contested from 46 constituencies while 36 women candidates contested the 1996 general polls from 48 constituencies.
Eighty-two women candidates submitted nomination papers to contest the December 29 national elections from 88 constituencies but the nomination of only 55 was validated by the Election Commission.
Sixteen of them are from Sheikh Hasina-led Awami League, 13 from Khaleda Zia-led Bangladesh Nationalist Party, five from Gana Forum, headed by noted jurist Kamal Hossain, four each from Jatiya Party and Bikalpadhara Bangladesh, both headed by former presidents, H.M. Ershad and A.Q.M. Badrudozza Choudhury.
Seven women will contest as independents.
Jamaat-e-Islami, the country’s largest Islamist party, has not nominated any woman candidate.
Both Zia and Hasina will contest the election from three constituencies each and Rawshan Ershad, a former first lady, from two constituencies.
- Bangladesh ex-dictator meets Hasina, may escape punishment - Aug 30, 2010
- Bangladesh's ruling ally threatens to quit - Mar 13, 2011
- Two opposition leaders win in Bangladesh by-polls - Apr 03, 2009
- Bangladesh's ninth parliament will have record 64 women - Dec 31, 2008
- Ershad may seek Hasina's 'blessings' to escape punishment - Aug 27, 2010
- Hasina to meet panel on Islamic references in constitution - Apr 27, 2011
- Hasina, allies sweep Bangladesh polls (Lead) - Dec 30, 2008
- I fulfilled a historic obligation: Ex-Bangladesh dictator - Jan 02, 2011
- Bangaldesh's ex-military ruler wants to be president again - Nov 23, 2008
- Hasina, allies win massive victory in Bangladesh (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2008
- Hold Ershad's trial, alliance partners tell Hasina - Sep 08, 2010
- WikiLeaks: India worried over Hasina, Zia - Dec 20, 2010
- Ten days before Bangladesh elections, 21 join poll fray - Dec 19, 2008
- Hasina decries opposition's strike call - Nov 28, 2010
- Violence, promises as Bangladesh poll campaign ends - Dec 27, 2008