One trooper killed, three injured in Jharkhand landmine blastApril 17th, 2009 - 3:24 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, April 17 (IANS) A Border Security Force (BSF) trooper accompanying election officials was killed and three were injured when Maoist rebels triggered a landmine blast in Jharkhand Friday, police said.
“The landmine blast took place near Oriya village of Latehar district when security personnel were returning with EVMs (electronic voting machines) after polls,” Jharkhand poice spokesperson S.N. Pradhan told IANS.
The security personnel were returning to Chatra with election officials after Thursday’s polling.
Maoist rebels first detonated a landmine blast around 10.30 a.m. and ambushed the team. In the ensuing gun-battle, three troopers were injured, who were admitted to the Apollo hospital here.
In Maoist violence in the same district, 18 people including 10 security personnel have been killed in the last two days. Six BSF personnel on polling duty were killed in a landmine blast in that district Thursday.
Eight poll officials were abducted from Latehar and Gumla districts Thursday but were freed by police.
- Nine killed as Maoists attack securitymen on poll duty in Jharkhand (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Nine killed, four abducted in Jharkhand Maoist attacks on poll day (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists kill CRPF man, injure six in Bihar - Jun 10, 2012
- Eight killed as Maoists attack MP's convoy in Jharkhand - Dec 04, 2011
- Moderate turnout in Jharkhand amid Maoist attacks (Fourth lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Five policemen killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attacks - Jun 27, 2011
- Six BSF personnel killed in landmine blast in Jharkhand - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists kill CRPF trooper in Jharkhand - Dec 24, 2010
- Maoists blast school, attack police station in Jharkhand - Dec 06, 2011
- Five cops killed in Jharkhand landmine blast - Jul 16, 2010
- 13 Jharkhand policemen killed in Maoist ambush - Jan 21, 2012
- Jharkhand sees 55 percent polling, Maoists kill two (Third Lead) - Dec 18, 2009
- Maoist landmine kills one in Jharkhand - Nov 26, 2009
- Maoists kill policeman, blow up school in Jharkhand (Lead) - Nov 26, 2009
- Landmine attack kills seven policemen in Jharkhand - Jan 16, 2010
Tags: abducted, apollo hospital, border security force, bsf, election officials, electronic voting machines, gun battle, landmine blast, maoist, maoist rebels, poll, polls, security personnel, spokesperson, violence