One killed, several injured in clashes with army in YemenApril 2nd, 2011 - 12:55 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a, April 1 (IANS) At least one person was killed and several others were injured in clashes between the army and residents in Yemen’s southern province of Abyan Friday, a local official said.
Residents of Lodar city of Abyan, however, said soldiers shot dead six of their kinsmen gathered in front of the main gate of the military barracks. Then the shoot-out erupted, Xinhua quoted an official who requested anonymity.
“The armed residents demanded the commander of the barracks to hand over the soldiers responsible of the killing. But their commander told them those, who were killed overnight, were members of Al Qaida,” he said.
The soldiers opened warning fire in the air to quell the crowd after an argument broke out, which then led to the exchange of fire between the two sides, the official added.
- Dozens killed in fresh Yemen clashes - Jul 31, 2011
- 15 troops, three Al Qaeda militants die in Yemen - Aug 21, 2010
- 13 Al Qaeda militants killed in Yemen - Jul 04, 2011
- 20 Al Qaeda terrorists killed in Yemen - May 26, 2012
- Seven Al Qaeda men killed in Yemen - Aug 23, 2010
- One protester killed in Yemen - Feb 25, 2011
- 17 killed in clashes at Yemen's interior ministry - Aug 01, 2012
- Six killed in Yemen - Jun 24, 2011
- Four killed as security forces clash with Yemen militants - Sep 05, 2010
- 21 Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula militants killed in Yemen - Jun 11, 2011
- 15 killed in Yemen - Jun 09, 2011
- Yemen denies military base' seizure by militants - May 28, 2011
- Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen - Aug 05, 2012
- Saleh sacks defected military commander in Yemen - Mar 28, 2011
- 11 die in Yemeni army, Al Qaeda clashes - Jun 27, 2011