One killed in Iraq protestFebruary 17th, 2011 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Feb 17 (IANS) One protestor was killed and over 20 were injured Thursday in a demonstration in Iraq’s Kurdistan region, Xinhua reported.Hundreds of protestors took to the streets at the Al-Aaray Square in Sulaimaniyah city, 330 km from Baghdad, demanding jobs and anti-corruption measures.
A source said the demonstrators stoned the office of the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP), headed by the region’s President Massud Barzani, and tried to storm the building, but guards of the office opened fire on the crowd, killing at least one and injuring more than 20.
Sulaimaniyah is the base of Iraqi President Jalal Talabani and his Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) party.
The KDP and PUK are the two major parties which control the three provinces of Sulaimaniyah, Arbil and Duhuk in the northern Kurdish region.
- Kurds cast votes in Iraq's regional elections - Jul 25, 2009
- High turnout in elections in Iraq's Kurdish region - Jul 26, 2009
- American teacher killed in Iraq school - Mar 01, 2012
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- 9,000 Syrian refugees reach Iraq - Jul 22, 2012
- U.S. teacher shot dead by student in Iraq - Mar 03, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills 13 in Iraq - Mar 24, 2009
- 40 people injured in clashes between protesters and security forces in northern Iraq - Apr 19, 2011
- US names Al Qaeda-linked outfit as terrorist entity - Jan 06, 2012
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- Biden pays surprise visit to Iraq - Nov 30, 2011
- At least 7 killed in plane accident in northern Iraq - Feb 05, 2011
- Biden arrives in Iraq to mark combat end - Aug 31, 2010
- Truck bomb attack kills 65 people in Iraq (Lead) - Jun 21, 2009
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: arbil, baghdad, barzani, corruption, demanding jobs, demonstrators, iraqi president jalal talabani, jalal talabani, kdp, kurdish region, kurdistan, kurdistan democratic party, kurdistan region, massud, patriotic union of kurdistan, president jalal talabani, protestor, protestors, sulaimaniyah, xinhua