One killed during Rajashtan repollMay 10th, 2009 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, May 10 (IANS) One person was killed and at least five others were injured Sunday when the police opened fire on a violent mob trying to capture a voting booth during repoll in Rajasthan’s Dausa parliamentary constituency.
“The police had to open fire on the mob as they tried to overpower a polling (officials’) party and capture a booth in the Dausa constituency. One person was killed in the incident,” a police office told IANS.
The injured were admitted in hospitals, the official said.
The polling officials were later escorted out of the area in Dausa, about 65 km from here.
“We are looking into the incident and have cancelled repoll here,” an Election Commission official said.
Dausa, a reserved seat, was considered a hyper-sensitive constituency.
K.L. Meena, a Meena community leader, and Qamar Rabbani Chechi, a Kashmiri Gujjar, are among the contestants. Gujjars are classified as tribals in Jammu and Kashmir.
The Congress has fielded Lakshman Meena while the BJP candidate is Ramkishore Meena.
Large-scale agitations to press demand the Scheduled Tribe status for the Gujjar community in the last couple of years have centered in and around the Dausa constituency.
Gujjars are currently classified among the Other Backward Classes (OBCs) in Rajasthan.
The Meena community, classified as tribals, has opposed the Gujjars’ demand.
Repolling in 59 other polling stations was largely peaceful, officials said.
The Election Commission had ordered repoll in 60 polling stations following complaints of irregularities during the May 7 polls.
- Peacefull re-polling in Manipur - Feb 04, 2012
- In first six hours, 26 percent voter turnout in Rajasthan (Third Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Re-poll peaceful in Manipur (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Rajasthan polling ends, around 50 percent turnout expected (Fifth Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Over 36 percent turnout in Rajasthan in eight hours (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2009
- EC orders re-poll on seven booths in Tamil Nadu, two in Kerala - Apr 14, 2011
- Re-poll ordered in five Tamil Nadu constituencies - Apr 14, 2011
- About 19 percent turnout in Rajasthan in first four hours (Second Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Re-poll ordered in two Bengal polling stations - Apr 19, 2011
- Rajasthan BJP, Congress hit by rebels, independents - May 04, 2009
- 54 percent turnout in Bihar first phase: EC - Oct 21, 2010
- Re-polling ends in Tamil Nadu - Apr 16, 2011
- Additional security for Manipur re-poll - Feb 03, 2012
- Bainsla gets BJP ticket from Rajasthan - Apr 16, 2009
- Manipur polls witness violence, five killed (Third Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: bjp candidate, community leader, dausa, election commission, gujjar, gujjars, irregularities, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, lakshman, large scale, mob, parliamentary constituency, police office, polling stations, rabbani, rajasthan, tribals, tribe, voting booth