One killed as protesters storm US embassy in Yemen (Lead)September 13th, 2012 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
Sanaa, Sep 13 (IANS) One person was shot dead in clashes with Yemeni security forces trying to disperse hundreds of demonstrators after they stormed the US embassy in the Yemeni capital Thursday, Xinhua said.
Dozens were wounded in clashes with Yemeni security forces inside and around the embassy during a mass demonstration over a controversial American film that allegedly denigrates the Prophet.
“The main building of the US embassy is still well protected with Yemeni and US security forces but some protesters managed to climbed into the external walls of the embassy,” a security official of the Yemeni interior ministry told Xinhua.
“The situation now is under control and the roads leading to the embassy were blocked,” he said on condition of anonymity.
However, witnesses said more reinforcement of the Yemeni security forces were sent to the embassy as more protesters managed to breach the security blockades.
“You Americans, stop insulting our Prophet!” chanted dozens of people at the gate of the US embassy.
It was not clear if there were any injuries among the US diplomatic staff or whether they were evacuated.
Protesters set fire to a number of diplomatic vehicles as well as part of the building, as security forces used water cannons and warning shots in a bid to drive them out.
- Yemeni protestors storm US embassy - Sep 13, 2012
- Yemeni president apologises to US over embassy attack - Sep 14, 2012
- 19 killed, hundreds injured in clashes across Yemen - May 12, 2011
- Anti-government protests continue in Yemen (Lead) - Feb 19, 2011
- US envoy to Libya killed in attack over movie (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- One more killed in Yemen unrest - Feb 21, 2011
- 17 injured, 165 detained during protests in Yemen - Feb 15, 2011
- Dozens arrested in Yemen anti-government protests - Jan 27, 2011
- UN chief slams `hateful film', calls for calm - Sep 14, 2012
- US consulate set ablaze in Libya - Sep 12, 2012
- Six more die in Yemen protests - Feb 20, 2011
- Clashes outside US embassy in Cairo leave 200 injured - Sep 14, 2012
- Protests rattle major cities across Yemen - Apr 14, 2011
- Libyan protesters storm US consulate, one personnel killed (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Two killed in Yemen protests - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: american film, anonymity, clashes, demonstrators, diplomatic staff, dozens, external walls, interior ministry, mass demonstration, prophet, protesters storm, reinforcement, security official, warning shots, water cannons, xinhua, yemeni capital, yemeni security forces