One killed as protesters, police clash in RanchiSeptember 3rd, 2012 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Sep 3 (IANS) One person was killed and several others, including policemen, were injured here Monday in a clash during a protest against land takeover, police sources said.
Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) workers allegedly turned violent and pelted stones at police who prevented them from marching to the state secretariat.
Party legislator Samresh Singh earlier tore his shirt (kurta) in the assembly demanding rehabilitation and compensation to people displaced by the Bokaro Steel Plant, forcing assembly Speaker C.P. Singh to adjourn the house for an hour.
The party protest outside the assembly was also against land acquisition by the government for educational institutes and industrialisation and its policies towards the displaced people.
JVM-P president and former chief minister Babu Lal Marandi led the march from Harmu ground to DPS School, where police stopped the protesters.
“The state government is beating people when they are seeking shelter and protesting against land acquisition. Our fight against displacement will continue,” Marandi told reporters.
As JVM-P workers pelted stones, police resorted to a baton charge and used water cannons to disperse them. One person injured in the clash died later.
The protesters alleged that a police vehicle hit the man who died of injuries.
Marandi and some party leaders, including legislative party leader Pradeep Yadav, were detained.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Jharkhand assembly disrupted over Marandi's arrest - Mar 10, 2011
- Marandi, legislators held in anti-encroachment protest - Mar 31, 2011
- Marandi's party to stay away from Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Legislator tears off kurta in Jharkhand assembly - Mar 10, 2011
- Jharkhand speaker bars media from reporting disruption - Mar 10, 2011
- Marandi seeking Maoist help to win Jamshedpur by-poll: Munda - Jun 30, 2011
- Marandi ends hunger strike - May 08, 2011
- Four JVM-P workers killed in accident - Aug 22, 2010
- Opposition protests hit road, rail services - Mar 09, 2011
- Jharkhand stops land acquisition for BCCL - Mar 23, 2012
- Legislator tears own shirt in Jharkhand assembly - Sep 03, 2012
- Legislator lies down on Jharkhand assembly table - Mar 11, 2011
- Shutdown hits life in Jharkhand, Medha Patkar booked - May 02, 2011
- JVM-P accuses Congress of horse trading again - Apr 21, 2012
- Jharkhand protesters block train movements - Sep 11, 2011
Tags: asian news, assembly speaker, bokaro steel plant, chief minister, industrialisation, kurta, lal, land acquisition, legislator, marandi, party leader, party leaders, police clash, police sources, police vehicle, policemen, protesters, state secretariat, vikas, water cannons