One arrested for Trinamool leader’s murder in West BengalMay 3rd, 2009 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 3 (IANS) One person was arrested Sunday in East Midnapore district of West Bengal in connection with the murder of a Trinamool Congress leader, police said.
“Chandra Mohan Sahi, a resident of Khejuri block, was arrested Sunday morning in connection with Prasanta Mondal’s murder. He will be produced in Contai court today (Sunday),” an officer of Khejuri police station told IANS.
Mondal, a block secretary of Trinamool, was gunned down late Friday at Sherkhan Chak area of East Midnapore district.
When asked about the reports of Trinamool activists on a rampage in Debichak and Shyampur areas, the officer said: “No such incident or clash between rival groups has been reported so far in the police station.”
Khejuri is adjacent to trouble-torn Nandigram that flared up over a proposed chemical hub project in 2007.
Mondal had defected to Trinamool from the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), which was a major setback for the ruling party ahead of panchayat elections in 2008.
Khejuri block is traditionally known as a CPI-M stronghold region while Nandigram remains under the control of the opposition Trinamool.
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
- Ex CPI-M MP arrested in Nandigram case flown to Kolkata - Mar 18, 2012
- Fresh violence erupts in Bengal, seven held - Nov 24, 2010
- Trinamool misled rural Bengal: Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee - Apr 30, 2011
- Former CPI-M MP arrested in Nandigram case (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Five years on, Nandigram feels forgotten and betrayed - Jan 03, 2012
- Three CPI-M offices torched in West Bengal - Sep 07, 2010
- Former CPI-M MP arrested in Nandigram case - Mar 17, 2012
- West Bengal's Khejuri on boil again, CPI-M office torched (Lead) - Jun 14, 2009
- Shutdown in Nandigram after Trinamool leader shot dead - Sep 23, 2009
- Congress team members manhandled by Trinamool workers - Jul 12, 2010
- Poll panel verifies list of homeless after violence - Feb 13, 2011
- Bengal massacre accused sent to CBI custody - Jun 05, 2011
- Trinamool activists torch CPI-M office in Khejuri - Jun 13, 2009
- Congress accuses Trinamool of 'attacking' delegation (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: activists, chandra mohan, clash, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress leader, CPI, hub project, kolkata, major setback, midnapore district, mondal, nandigram, panchayat elections, police station, rampage, rival groups, ruling party, trinamool congress, west bengal