Omar hopes Anna calls off fasts permanentlyDecember 29th, 2011 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 29 (IANS) Accusing Anna Hazare of directing his agitation against the Congress, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Thursday said he hoped the activist calls off his fast permanently.
“While fighting for the country’s independence, Mahatma Gandhi went on fast just five times while Anna Hazare has already done so thrice this year,” Abdullah told reporters in Bandipora district where he inaugurated a bridge across the Jhelum river connecting Ganderbal and Bandipora.
“Naturally, some fatigue and tiredness has resulted in his calling off the fast, which I hope is called off permanently,” Abdullah said.
“Anna Hazare must have realized that India is not Delhi alone,” the chief minister said.
He said the agitation was clearly directed against the Congress and more specifically against Congress president Sonia Gandhi and party general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
He also welcomed the recent statement of separatist leader and chairman of the moderate Hurriyat group Mirwaiz Umer Farooq about the paucity of electric power supply in the Kashmir Valley.
“I appeal to Mirwaiz Umer to issue a statement on the coming Friday, calling for a campaign against power pilferage. That would save the state Rs.2,000 crore a year,” the chief minister said.
- Revoke AFSPA in Kashmir, reiterates Omar - Dec 29, 2011
- Omar mocks Anna for 'Mumbai tamasha' - Dec 28, 2011
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Only one Mahatma for India, no one crusader against corruption: CPI (Second Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Separatist leaders put under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 27, 2012
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Anna getting exposed, says Subodh Kant Sahai - Dec 26, 2011
- Omar mocks Anna for 'Mumbai tamasha' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Bloody Monday leaves 16 dead across Kashmir (Fourth Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Kashmiri separatist leaders still under house arrest - Aug 06, 2011
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Police battle anti-graft protesters outside PM's house, Hazare for second freedom movement (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- Restrictions affect life in Srinagar on martyrs' day - Jul 13, 2011
- Sonia pleads but Hazare not to give up as talks fail (Intro Roundup) - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,