Omar Abdullah serves defamation notice on PDP legislatorAugust 28th, 2010 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 28 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Saturday sent a legal notice for defamation to opposition People’s Democratic Party (PDP) legislator Nizamuddin Bhat and spokesman Nayeem Akhtar Andrabi for levelling charges of corruption and misusing his position against him.
The defamation notice has been sent through Omar’s lawyer, Abhishek Manu Singhvi, a senior advocate and former additional solicitor general of India.
The notice, terming the charges “baseless, fabricated, concocted, frivolous, false and defamatory”, calls upon Bhat and Andrabi to publicly apologise and withdraw the allegations made against Omar within seven days failing which he will be constrained to initiate appropriate legal proceedings against them.
At a press briefing here earlier this week, Bhat had charged the chief minister with taking kickbacks amounting to crores of rupees from a firm that had been allotted the contract for building a multi-crore hydro-electric power project in the state.
The allegations had also said Omar Abdullah was spending crores of rupees on his official residence in Srinagar.
Under the existing system in the state, a chief minister is allowed to retain for life the official residence he lives in during his tenure on reasons of security and threat perception.
- Gadkari sends legal notice to Digvijay for defamation - Sep 14, 2012
- Maran demands Rs.10 crore damages from paper - Jun 03, 2011
- Omar lauds Rahul reaction to shoe throwing - Jan 23, 2012
- PDP influencing eye-witnesses: Omar - Oct 08, 2011
- PDP stages protest march in Srinagar, demands Omar quit - Oct 05, 2011
- Clash at Hurriyat seminar in Kashmir - May 20, 2012
- Moderate Hurriyat issues notice to three leaders - Jun 01, 2012
- I did not pay money to either Abdullah: NC worker - Oct 07, 2011
- PDP steps up protests against Omar Abdullah government - Oct 14, 2011
- Raman Singh sends Rs.1 crore defamation notice to media houses - Dec 15, 2011
- Omar to serve defamation notice on Mehbooba Mufti - Oct 03, 2011
- Ruckus in Kashmir assembly over cricket scam - Mar 13, 2012
- 'Farooq doesn't handle J&K; cricket finances' - Mar 12, 2012
- BJP demands Omar's resignation - Oct 23, 2011
- Kashmir's economic growth depends on power: Omar - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: allegations, bhat, corruption, crore, defamation, democratic party, existing system, hydro electric power, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, kickbacks, legal proceedings, legislator, manu, rupees, seven days, solicitor general, tenure, threat perception