Official booked for refusing poll dutyApril 1st, 2009 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 1 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh government has registered a case against an official of the trade tax department after he refused to join election duty, police said Wednesday.
“Harender Singh, a trade tax deputy commissioner in Banda district, has been booked for not accepting his duty letter for the polls,” Inspector R. Maurya told IANS over telephone. Banda is 200 km from here.
Singh not only refused to take his duty letter but also abused the official who had gone to hand over the letter to him, the police said.
“Singh called the official a ‘peon of the district magistrate’ and declined to join his duty as a zonal magistrate for the elections,” said Maurya.
According to police, the case against Singh was registered Tuesday night following directives by the district administration.
District Magistrate Ranjan Kumar said: “We will take stern action against Singh and all those officials who will decline to join election duty.”
For initiating tough action against Singh, “we have written to the State Election Commission and the trade tax department,” added Kumar.
- 'Kidnapped' man challenges Dimple Yadav's election to Lok Sabha - Sep 12, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- Gurgaon factory violence: Contractor, 11 workers arrested - Mar 21, 2012
- Babus' interference in health sector angers Bihar's doctors - Sep 10, 2012
- SIT to probe fresh violence in Maruti Manesar plant (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- SIT to probe Maruti's fresh violence - Jul 19, 2012
- Woman kills five children, commits suicide - Oct 07, 2011
- Book five Uttar Pradesh ministers, court tells police - Aug 07, 2010
- Akhilesh firefights as ministers, officials embarrass government (Uttar Pradesh Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Poll panel seeks transfer of police officer - Mar 20, 2011
- 78 Chhattisgarh cops evade postings in Maoist areas - Sep 25, 2010
- Police scan Kanda's 400 SMS to Geetika - Aug 12, 2012
- Kanda got clean chit in 2008 assault case - Aug 25, 2012
- 25 peons to be election observers - Feb 11, 2012
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station - Jun 13, 2011
Tags: april 1, deputy commissioner, district administration, district magistrate, duty police, elections, maurya, peon, poll duty, polls, ranjan, state election commission, stern action, tuesday night, uttar pradesh government