Odisha to increase quota for women in urban bodiesJuly 14th, 2012 - 12:32 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 13 (IANS) Odisha will increase the quota for women in the state’s urban local bodies to 50 percent from the existing 33 percent, an official said Friday.
The urban local bodies in the state include three municipal corporations, 34 municipalities and 66 notified area councils. The decision will empower women in the state, a senior official of the state urban development department told IANS.
Fifty percent reservation has already been given to women in the state’s panchayati raj institutions since last year.
To increase the quota for women in the urban local bodies, the government needs to amend the existing Odisha Municipal Act. The government is likely to present a bill in the assembly soon in this regard, the official added.
- UN to help empower elected women in Karnataka - Sep 14, 2011
- Himachal to achieve total sanitation programme by March 31 - Jan 15, 2011
- Tripura to hold polls with 50 percent quota for women - Oct 08, 2010
- 50 percent seats for women in Maharashtra local government bodies - Mar 09, 2011
- Ramesh favours women's reservation bill - Nov 02, 2011
- Himachal all set to empower rural women - Dec 25, 2010
- Tripura gives women 50 percent quota in panchayat - Mar 09, 2010
- MCD split: Special session Nov 30 to pass bill - Nov 25, 2011
- 'India making progress on women's political empowerment' - Mar 17, 2012
- After successful election, 35,000 Kashmiri panchayat members to be trained - Nov 23, 2011
- Right to education, women's quota among laws introduced by UPA-II - May 21, 2010
- Orissa to reserve half of Pachayati Raj seats for women - Mar 06, 2010
- Tripura agrees to increased quota for women in local bodies - Jan 22, 2010
- Norwegian delegation to study decentralised governance - Jan 11, 2012
- Voters brave cold for Himachal Pradesh panchayat polls - Dec 28, 2010