Odisha protests neglect in railway budgetMarch 15th, 2012 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 15 (IANS) Non-Congress parties, including Odisha’s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD), Thursday held separate demonstrations to protest the state’s alleged neglect in the railway budget for 2012-13.
Hundreds of BJD activists came out in a motorcycle rally in the city and assembled near the Raj Bhavan, the official residence of state governor M.C. Bhandare.
Shouting slogans against the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) central government, the BJD activists, including some legislatures, also demanded full rollback of the fare hike proposed in the budget.
BJD lawmakers also staged a sit-in protest near the statue of Mahatma Gandhi in side the assembly premises here.
Left parties also organized a rally in the steel city of Rourkela against the rail fare hike proposal.
Disapproving the hike proposed by Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi in the rail budget Wednesday, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said it will adversely affect the common man.
Terming the budget as “very disappointing”, Patnaik expressed his displeasure for allocating less funds to Odisha.
“The UPA government has been repeatedly neglecting the state,” Patnaik said addressing a public meeting in the Athagarh area of Cuttack district Thursday.
The state government had requested the railways ministry to allot Rs.2,345 crore for various ongoing projects in Odisha.
Patnaik said he found that only Rs.714 crore has been allotted in this budget.
–Indio-Asian News Service
- Rail fare hike to hit common man: Naveen Patnaik - Mar 14, 2012
- BJD activists protest railways' neglect of Orissa - Mar 15, 2011
- Odisha protests cut in railway budgetary allocation - Jul 29, 2012
- Protests over Mamata's budget hit Orissa rail services - Feb 26, 2010
- Trivedi proposes, but his own Trinamool opposes - Mar 14, 2012
- Patnaik slams petrol price hike - Nov 05, 2011
- Rail fare hike will put strain on common man: Mamata - Mar 19, 2012
- Quiet freight hike to pull railways out of red - Mar 19, 2012
- CPI-M blasts rail fare hikes - Mar 14, 2012
- Trinamool derails fare hike, BJP, Left slam budget (Political Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Trinamool Congress demands fare hike roll-back - Mar 14, 2012
- Will replace Trivedi if needed: PM - Mar 15, 2012
- Rail budget lacks fund-generation ideas: Left - Mar 14, 2012
- Government rolls back railway fare hike (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Trivedi's rail fare hike rationale absurd: Trinamool MP - Mar 22, 2012
Tags: asian news, bhubaneswar, bjd, chief minister, crore, cuttack district, fare hike, janata, mahatma gandhi, motorcycle rally, naveen patnaik, ongoing projects, progressive alliance, railway budget, railway minister, raj bhavan, rourkela, state governor, steel city, trivedi