Odisha, Jharkhand to intensity anti-mineral smuggling driveAugust 22nd, 2012 - 2:26 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 22 (IANS) Odisha and its neighbouring state of Jharkhand have said that they will jointly intensify crackdown against the mineral smuggling across their borders.
Speaking to reporters after the second inter-state coordination meeting held Tuesday to check theft of minerals including iron ore, the home secretaries of Odisha and Jharkhand mentioned about their plans and ongoing efforts.
“We have adopted some IT (Information and Technology) based solution. We are also working on some other measures,” said Odisha Home Secretary U.N. Behera.
Jharakhand home secretary expressed the hope that the joint efforts will help in bringing an end to the prevailing menace of mineral smuggling.
“We are aware that we have a common border. In the coming days, we will be able to stop all illegal mining jointly,” said Jharkhand Home Secretary J.B.Tubid.
Senior officials of the police, home, forest, and mines departments of both the states participated in Tuesday’s meeting held at the district headquarter town of Keonjhar, about 235 kms from here.
Investigations into illegal mining in Odisha by various state and central agencies began after some politicians alleged that some mines were operating without licences.
- Odisha, Jharkhand to check iron ore smuggling - Feb 09, 2012
- Former Navy man held for smuggling ore - Mar 23, 2010
- Odisha halts work at SAIL mine - Feb 14, 2012
- Odisha blocks its ore export from two Andhra ports - Jan 17, 2012
- Work at SAIL mine in Odisha still stopped - Feb 23, 2012
- Orissa allows six iron ore mines to resume operations - Jan 24, 2011
- 340 held for illegal mining in Orissa since January - Dec 12, 2010
- Eight trucks of illegal iron ore seized in Orissa - Feb 05, 2010
- Odisha stops iron ore exports through two Andhra ports - Dec 12, 2011
- Orissa holds up permission to operate 23 mines - Jan 22, 2011
- Orissa seeks neighbours' help to check illegal mining - Apr 15, 2010
- One more booked for illegal mining in Orissa - Apr 18, 2010
- 600 tonnes of iron ore seized in Orissa - Feb 03, 2010
- 90,000 tonnes of iron ore seized in Orissa - Mar 10, 2010
- Goa not in iron deposit intensive areas list - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: behera, borders, crackdown, home secretary, information and technology, intensity, inter state, investigations, iron ore, jharkhand, measures, minerals, neighbouring state, odisha, politicians, secretaries, senior officials, state coordination