Odisha gangrape victim dies in hospitalJune 21st, 2012 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 21 (IANS) A woman, who was allegedly gangraped in Odisha last year, Thursday died in a government hospital in Cuttack, around 26 km from here, after undergoing treatment for more than six months, an official said.
Thw woman died of heart stroke, septicemia, a severe infection and other complications, Bhubanananda Moharana, superintendent of Sriram Chandra Bhanja Medical College and Hospital, where she was undergoing treatment, told reporters.
The woman was allegedly gangraped Nov 28 by some people near her village, Arjunagoda, 10 km from Bhubaneswar.
The incident came to light when the woman was initially denied proper treatment at different hospitals.
The case created a political storm, prompting Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy to resign Jan 19 on moral grounds after the opposition parties and the woman’s family alleged that he was protecting her attackers.
According to the family, the woman was gangraped by a group of men who had earlier assaulted her in 2008 and against whom she had filed a molestation case.
The gangrape is still being investigated, six months after the incident, by the crime branch and a one-man judicial commission headed by a retired judge of the Orissa High Court.
The crime branch has so far arrested four people in the case.
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- Three Odisha doctors charged in Pipli gangrape case - Jun 13, 2012
- Odisha assault victim's kin seek CBI probe - Mar 11, 2012
- Minister mulls legal action against gangrape remarks - Mar 07, 2012
- Investigating agency rules out rape in Pipili case - Mar 10, 2012
- Arrest of ex-minister sought in Odisha gang rape - Mar 05, 2012
- Pipili case: Charge sheet filed against dismissed cop - May 11, 2012
- AIIMS team examines Odisha gangrape victim - Jan 28, 2012
- Opposition rejects chargesheet on Odisha gangrape (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Odisha gangrape: Minister resigns - Jan 19, 2012
- Women's panel probes Odisha gang rape - Feb 02, 2012
- CBI probe sought into Odisha gangrape - Jan 30, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Activists demand women panel chief's sacking - Feb 19, 2012
- Odisha gangrape: Minister resigns (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, attackers, bhubaneswar, chandra, crime branch, cuttack, gangrape victim, government hospital, heart stroke, jan 19, judicial commission, medical college, molestation case, moral grounds, opposition parties, orissa high court, political storm, pradeep, sriram, undergoing treatment