Odisha gangrape: Minister resignsJanuary 19th, 2012 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 19 (IANS) Odisha Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy Thursday submitted his resignation to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik after the opposition accused him of protecting the culprits in a gangrape case.
“I submitted the resignation on moral grounds,” Maharathy told IANS after putting in his papers.
A 19-year-old woman was allegedly gangraped Nov 28 last year by some people near her village Arjunagoda, about 10 km from state capital Bhubaneswar. The site of the crime comes under Pipili assembly constituency that Maharathy represents.
“The opposition parties are trying to malign the image of our government and the image of the chief minister. I resigned to protect their image,” Maharathy said.
The woman is admitted in a hospital in Cuttack, 26 km from here, and is in coma. Her family alleges that the accused were the same people who had assaulted her in 2008 and against whom she had put up a determined fight in court in a molestation case.
The matter came to light recently when the victim was allegedly denied proper treatment at a hospital and some mediapersons reported the matter after meeting her family members.
- Odisha gangrape: Minister resigns (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Pipili case: Charge sheet filed against dismissed cop - May 11, 2012
- Three Odisha doctors charged in Pipli gangrape case - Jun 13, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- Opposition parties demand justice for rape victim - Jan 16, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim dies in hospital - Jun 21, 2012
- Investigating agency rules out rape in Pipili case - Mar 10, 2012
- Women's panel probes Odisha gang rape - Feb 02, 2012
- AIIMS team examines Odisha gangrape victim - Jan 28, 2012
- Arrest of ex-minister sought in Odisha gang rape - Mar 05, 2012
- Minister mulls legal action against gangrape remarks - Mar 07, 2012
- Odisha assault victim's kin seek CBI probe - Mar 11, 2012
- CBI probe sought into Odisha gangrape - Jan 30, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Activists demand women panel chief's sacking - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, bhubaneswar, chief minister, constituency, culprits, family members, gangrape, jan 19, molestation case, moral grounds, odisha, old woman, opposition parties, pradeep, resignation