Odisha capable of handling legislator’s kidnapping: CongressMarch 24th, 2012 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 24 (IANS) The Congress Saturday said the Odisha government was capable of handling the situation arising out of the kidnapping of a ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) legislator, though the central government has provided help whenever needed.
Reacting to the reports of Maoists kidnapping BJD lawmaker Jhina Hikaka, Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said the incident is a matter of “serious concern”.
“But the state government is competent to handle the situation and it comes under the state’s responsibility,” Singhvi said.
“However, the centre has been providing all necessary help whenever the state has asked for it,” he added.
Maoists in Odisha kidnapped the ruling party legislator early Saturday, even as talks continued with the rebels for the release of two Italians abducted 10 days ago.
Hikaka, 37, was abducted after midnight by a 100-150 strong group of Maoists from a hilly area between Koraput and Laxmipur, about 500 km from Bhubaneswar.
The rebels, however, released the driver of the vehicle and a bodyguard accompanying the lawmaker.
The abduction came as three state officials continued their talks with two mediators named by the Maoists for the negotiations for release of the Italians.
- Maoists abduct Odisha MLA - Mar 24, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Odisha holds talks as MLA abducted (Second Lead) - Mar 24, 2012
- Odisha talks halted as Maoists seize legislator (Roundup) - Mar 24, 2012
- Odisha talks halted as Maoists seize legislator (Intro Roundup) - Mar 24, 2012
- Orissa abduction: Uproar in assembly - Mar 24, 2012
- Maoists abduct Odisha MLA (Lead) - Mar 24, 2012
- Abducted Odisha cop shot dead by Maoists (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Maoists set free Odisha legislator Jhina Hikaka (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Maoists release Odisha legislator Hikaka - Apr 26, 2012
- 'Can't be blackmailed on Odisha crisis' - Apr 02, 2012
- Maoists to release Hikaka Thursday: lawyer - Apr 25, 2012
- Efforts intensified to secure release of Odisha hostages - Mar 26, 2012
- Abducted Odisha cop shot dead by Maoists (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Relief, tears as Maoists release Odisha legislator Hikaka (Third lead, changing dateline) - Apr 26, 2012
- Maoists set Thursday deadline for abducted legislator (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, bodyguard, central government, congress, hilly area, italians, lawmaker, legislator, manu, maoists, mediators, negotiations, New Delhi, odisha, rebels, ruling party, spokesperson, state government, state officials