Obamas step out on first ‘date’ since becoming presidentMay 3rd, 2009 - 12:25 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 3 (DPA) US President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle went to a posh restaurant Saturday night in what was described as their first date since moving into the White House Jan 20.
They spent nearly two hours at Citronelle, a French restaurant in the fashionable Georgetown neighbourhood run by celebrity chef Michel Richard.
Dinner and wine at Citronelle, normally booked weeks in advance, can easily run $200 per person for such mirthful dishes as escargot ravioli or pearl pasta, dyed with squid ink to look like caviar. Patrons can watch the chef and his staff create inside a glassed-in kitchen.
Men are required to wear a jacket at the restaurant, and Obama was seen in a dark suit, without a tie. His wife, wearing a white blouse with the sleeves pushed up, sported high heels and carried a blue clutch purse, with her hair pulled back into a ponytail.
The presidential motorcade for the trip of about 15 blocks from the White House to the restaurant became the centre of attention on M Street, Georgetown’s major artery and a bustling Saturday night hot spot for dining and night life.
A large crowd, estimated by White House pool reporters in the hundreds, was kept at bay by hurriedly strung, yellow police tape. One activist of unknown persuasion arrived with a megaphone but went ignored by the crowd, which engaged in apparently apolitical gawking.
The Obamas reportedly stayed for dessert, and they drew cheers from the crowd outside the restaurant on climbing back into the waiting motorcade.
After returning to the White House, the couple held hands for a stoll on the South Lawn of the White House. They were home in time for the president, an avid basketball fan, to watch his home-town Chicago Bulls lose in the deciding seventh game of an NBA playoff series to the Boston Celtics.
- Policeman in Obama motorcade dies in accident - Sep 10, 2012
- Michelle Obama dons Halston to celeb-studded White House Correspondents' Dinner - May 01, 2011
- 'World's Best Restaurant' El Bulli to shut down - Jan 27, 2010
- Obama buys his Chinese lunch at restaurant - Feb 17, 2012
- Dine on Nobel 2010 spread for Rs.8,000 - Oct 16, 2011
- Michelle Obama admits she's a "lover" of french fries - Sep 14, 2010
- Michelle Obama celebrates her birthday - Jan 18, 2011
- Now a beer brewed exclusively in White House - Mar 08, 2011
- Nature my kitchen, fusion my passion: Chef Malhotra (With Images) - Jan 22, 2012
- Obamas brew 'White House Honey Ale' at home - Feb 08, 2011
- State banquet: Menu will be heavy on veggies, low on red meat - Nov 24, 2009
- Chef's table week, unique concept taking root in India (With Images) - Feb 19, 2012
- Putin tests every meal before eating: Former chef - Jul 25, 2012
- Michelle Obama to host NY farm-to-table luncheon for diplomats' spouses - Sep 18, 2010
- British couple have sex at pizza joint - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: barack obama, basketball fan, boston celtics, celebrity chef, centre of attention, chicago bulls, clutch purse, dark suit, french restaurant, home in time, large crowd, m street, megaphone, michel richard, nba playoff series, posh restaurant, president washington, presidential motorcade, white house pool, yellow police tape