Obamas spend quiet Christmas in HawaiiDecember 26th, 2008 - 8:43 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 26 (DPA) US President-elect Barack Obama and his family spent a quiet Christmas Thursday at a luxury beachfront rental home in Hawaii, in what will likely be his last retreat before his inauguration Jan 20.Accompanied by wife Michelle and their daughters - Malia and Sasha - the family opened gifts in the morning and were later joined by close friends from Chicago, Marty Nesbitt, a businessman who was treasurer of his presidential campaign and physician Eric Whitaker.
The Obamas were to eat a traditional Christmas dinner of turkey and ham, and they had decorated a natural Christmas tree, Bloomberg news quoted spokesman Ben LaBolt as saying.
Obama spent much of his childhood in Hawaii and in recent years has vacationed on the island every Christmas.
His vacation has attracted a lot of attention, from locals and the swarming media. Paparazzi photographs of the bare-chested politician have been splashed across newspapers, websites and magazines around the world.
There is also much curiosity about the vacation house, which is estimated to have a market value of some $10 million and can be rented for a minimum of $3,000 a night.
On Tuesday, Obama held a private memorial service for his grandmother Madelyn Dunham, who died shortly before his historic victory in November. The president-elect and his half-sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, scattered Dunham’s ashes in the ocean after the service.
- Obama's half-sister to move to Washington - Jul 31, 2009
- Obamas last Hawaiian Hula-Hula holiday before White House rigours - Dec 20, 2008
- Obama's sister attacks Trump's birther movement - Apr 13, 2011
- Paparazzi steal pool photographers thunder in clicking Obamas intimate pics - Dec 25, 2008
- Java blacksmith and family shocked to know they were saved by Obama's mum - Nov 08, 2009
- Obama's grandmother dies of cancer in Hawaii - Nov 04, 2008
- Obama scatters late grannys ashes in Pacific Ocean off Honululu - Dec 24, 2008
- Obamas' holiday in Martha's Vineyard kicks off - Aug 24, 2009
- Reagan on Obama's holiday reading list (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Obama's half-sister inks book deal - Apr 03, 2009
- Barack Obama 'racially abused as boy in Indonesia' - Apr 22, 2011
- Obama's pooch makes friends in Hawaii - Dec 25, 2010
- Obama pays tearful tribute to dead grand mom - Nov 04, 2008
- Obamas watch Avatar with family and friends - Jan 01, 2010
- Mix of work and play for Obama's aides, reporters - Dec 29, 2010