Obamas arrives at White HouseJanuary 21st, 2009 - 5:12 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 21 (Xinhua) US President Barack Obama arrived at the White House Tuesday afternoon to add the finishing touch to a historic inauguration of the country’s first African-American president.Amid thunderous cheers from enthusiastic supporters lining both sides of the Inaugural Parade route, Obama and his wife, First Lady Michelle, stepped out of the presidential limo twice on their way from the Capitol Hill to the White House, walking in the chilly wind, smiling and waving to greet the crowd.
They reached their new residence for the next four years at around 4:40 p.m., while the grand inaugural parade, 56th of its kind in history, was still under way along the Pennsylvania Avenue.
More than 13,000 people from all 50 US states were travelling the 1.5-mile parade route, which has been jammed with excited onlookers braving the outdoor cold since dawn.
The presidential motorcade took the lead of the jubilant parade, which consisted of military units, marching bands, acrobats and other performing groups.
The parade route has also been lined with police and military personnel, who saluted the new president’s limo as it slowly sailed past.
Obama was sworn in as the 44th US President around Tuesday noon on the West Front of the Capitol building. The inaugural parade and the march toward the White House began after an inaugural luncheon hosted at Congress.
- 'The Beast' to give Obama a safe ride in India (With Image) - Oct 28, 2010
- Policeman in Obama motorcade dies in accident - Sep 10, 2012
- US presidential limo 'The Beast' will not go green - Apr 02, 2011
- Obama takes helicopter for 6-mile trip - Aug 08, 2010
- No ceremony or speech at outgoing president's departure - Jan 20, 2009
- Schedule of events for Obama's inauguration - Jan 20, 2009
- Obamas' make merry in Hawaii as Americans battle snow storm - Dec 31, 2010
- Washington gears up for Obama's date with destiny - Jan 13, 2009
- Obama's whistle-stop tour, links past with historic present (Lead) - Jan 17, 2009
- US has no answer to Iran issue: Historian Allan Lichtman - May 23, 2012
- Previously Unseen Photographs of the JFK Inauguration 50 Years Ago Today - Jan 21, 2011
- Manmohan dinner crashers top Time's '10 Memorable State-Dinner Moments' - Jan 19, 2011
- Allies display military might at Kuwait liberation parade - Feb 26, 2011
- History at noon: Obama is US president (Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Obama scripts history at noon (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
Tags: 50 us states, acrobats, american president, barack obama, capitol building, chilly wind, finishing touch, inaugural luncheon, inaugural parade route, marching bands, military personnel, military units, new president, onlookers, pennsylvania avenue, presidential limo, presidential motorcade, tuesday afternoon, white house washington, xinhua