Obama to vacation at Martha’s vineyardAugust 11th, 2011 - 8:30 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Aug 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) President Barack Obama and his family will be jetting off to Martha’s Vineyard for a vacation. The President’s trip to the island which is off the coast of Massachusetts has been criticized for being ill-timed.
The White House confirmed that the first family will be making the trip to the island despite the pressing economic challenges that face the United States currently. The economy of the country is barely thriving with more than fourteen million people out of job. The country’s debt rating was recently downgraded from the perfect AAA.
Nonetheless, the press secretary at the White House, Jay Carney said the President needed to take some time off his busy schedule to get refreshed. The excuse has not convinced many people.
A presidential historian at Carleton College in Minnesota, Steven Schier, believes the timing is very wrong. He told USA Today that, “You can do a vacation, but I think you ought to do it in a way that serves your political needs. His political needs are large.”
Obama and his family are expected to leave Washington next week Thursday for the 10-day trip to the island where the average home is offered for $650,000. The expensive nature of the island is another reason why several Americans believe the trip is not worth it.
- President Barack Obama Lands On Martha's Vineyard For 10-Day Vacation With Family - Aug 20, 2010
- Obama family to begin their 6th holiday of the year - Aug 19, 2010
- Gaddafi's rule in Libya has come to an end: Obama - Aug 22, 2011
- Obama to cut short vacation due to Hurricane Irene - Aug 27, 2011
- Barack Obama takes his family for a vacation in Martha's Vineyard - Aug 23, 2010
- Obama begins vacation by picking up summer reading - Aug 21, 2010
- Obama declares emergency for New York ahead of hurricane(Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- White House congratulates royal couple on their wedding - Apr 30, 2011
- President Barack Obama Visits Book Store On First Day Of Vacation - Aug 21, 2010
- Obamas eyeing Martha's Vineyard for summer vacation - Jul 01, 2009
- Hurricane Bill heads for Obamas' vacation island - Aug 23, 2009
- Obamas enjoy "middle class" holiday in North Carolina - Apr 24, 2010
- White House Defends Another Obama Vacation - Aug 21, 2010
- US loses AAA credit rating, terms it 'a facts-be-damned decision' (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Martha's Vineyard prepares for possible Obama vacation - May 05, 2009
Tags: barack obama, busy schedule, carleton college, carney, day trip, economic challenges, economy, excuse, job, martha, massachusetts, presidential historian, press secretary, time off, united states, usa today, white house