Obama to speak at Kennedy funeral; burial at Arlington (Lead)August 27th, 2009 - 11:06 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 27 (DPA) US senator Ted Kennedy will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery Saturday, the resting place of his two fallen brothers, according to media reports Wednesday.
Kennedy will be buried not far from the grave sites of former president John F. Kennedy, who was assassinated in 1963, and Robert Kennedy, who suffered the same fate while running for the White House in 1968.
US President Barack Obama, who received a big boost in his bid for the Democratic Party nomination from Kennedy’s endorsement in early 2008, is expected to speak at the funeral in Boston early Saturday, the Washington Post reported, citing a senior White House official.
The funeral is to be held at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Basilica in Boston, Massachusetts, the home state of the senator.
Ted Kennedy died late Tuesday at the age of 77 after a 15-month battle against brain cancer. Obama, former colleagues and leaders around the world have paid tribute to Kennedy since learning of his death.
Kennedy served in the Senate since 1962 and his previous military service made him eligible for burial at Arlington, which lies near the Pentagon and is the final resting place for many of the country’s war dead.
- Ted to be inhumed next to brothers - Aug 27, 2009
- Edward Kennedy to be buried in Arlington Cemetery Saturday - Aug 27, 2009
- Kennedy funeral: Obama to deliver eulogy - Aug 27, 2009
- Kennedy eulogised at final farewell - Aug 30, 2009
- `Celebration of Life' memorial for Kennedy in Boston - Aug 29, 2009
- Edward Kennedy To Have Boston Funeral - Aug 27, 2009
- Kennedy's funeral to be attended by five US presidents - Aug 28, 2009
- Thousands mourn and hail Ted Kennedy - Aug 28, 2009
- Family gathering in Kennedy's final journey - Aug 28, 2009
- General Vang Pao's Burial Denied In Arlington National Cemetery - Feb 05, 2011
- Obama Set To Deliver Eulogy At Edward Kennedy's Funeral - Aug 27, 2009
- FBI Files Divulge Death Threats On Ted Kennedy - Jun 15, 2010
- Edward Kennedy, liberal lion, scion of American royalty (Obituary) - Aug 26, 2009
- Senator Edward Kennedy's death ends `historic' US chapter (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2009
- Ted Kennedy faced several deaths threat after brothers' assassinations: FBI - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: arlington national cemetery, barack obama, basilica, boston massachusetts, brain cancer, democratic party nomination, dpa, final resting place, former president, grave sites, john f kennedy, lady of perpetual help, military service, president john f kennedy, robert kennedy, s endorsement, senator ted kennedy, ted kennedy, us senator ted kennedy, washington post