Obama to meet Mexican president before inaugurationJanuary 9th, 2009 - 9:36 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 9 (IANS) US president-elect Barack Obama will meet Mexican President Felipe Calderon Monday as part of a long-standing tradition between the two countries, EFE news agency reported Friday, quoting sources with Obama’s transition team. The meeting, which will occur at Mexico’s Cultural Institute in Washington, will be the Obama’s first with a foreign head of state since he won the Nov 4 presidential election and the two leaders are expected to discuss matters such as regional security and immigration, sources said.
In Mexico, the President’s Office confirmed in a communique that Calderon will travel to Washington Jan 12 to hold a private working meeting with Obama.
The get-together is in line with a tradition in US politics dating from 1980, according to which presidents-elect meet with Mexican presidents before being sworn in.
George W. Bush had travelled to Mexico in February 2001 on his first foreign visit as president. And than, he received Mexico’s then-president, Vicente Fox, Sep 5, 2001.
The two men were very close to reaching an immigration accord that would have permitted the legalisation of undocumented immigrants in the US, the majority of whom come from Mexico.
But the Sep 11, 2001, terrorist attacks resulted in a shelving of those efforts, and the US Congress still has not managed to agree on an immigration reform plan.
US lawmakers last year approved the Merida Initiative, a regional security plan that includes $1.4 billion in aid for Mexico, Central America and the Dominican Republic over three years to combat drug trafficking violence.
- Obama to meet Mexican President to sort out 'tense' relations - Mar 03, 2011
- Vice President Joe Biden visits Mexico - Mar 05, 2012
- US had 11.5 mn undocumented immigrants in 2011 - Mar 26, 2012
- Over 100 Mexican immigration agency employees sacked - Oct 16, 2011
- Obama's daughter safe after Mexico quake - Mar 21, 2012
- US, Mexico, Canada reaffirm commitment to security - Apr 03, 2012
- TERI's Pachauri gets Mexican humanitarian award - Jun 18, 2012
- Mexican President Calderon to make U.S. state visit - Mar 19, 2010
- Cruise giant to invest over $150 mn in Mexico - Mar 16, 2012
- Coca-Cola plans to invest $1 bn in Mexico in 2012 - Jan 30, 2012
- Obama, Clinton accept resignation of US envoy to Mexico - Mar 20, 2011
- Arizona State Law Triggers Mexico Travel Warning - May 01, 2010
- Mexican interior minister killed in helicopter crash - Nov 12, 2011
- Calderon says new Arizona immigration law causing discrimination - May 19, 2010
- Mexico takes action to keep criminals out of elections - Mar 02, 2012
Tags: drug trafficking, immigration reform, immigration sources, mexican president felipe calderon, mexican presidents, president elect, president felipe calderon, president vicente fox, sep 11 2001, undocumented immigrants