Obama signs tobacco billJune 23rd, 2009 - 2:21 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 23 (DPA) US President Barack Obama Monday signed legislation that forces new restrictions on US tobacco companies and gives the government broad new powers to regulate the industry.
Obama said the law, which was passed by both houses of Congress earlier this month, “represents change that’s been decades in the making”.
The new law bans fruit or sweet-flavoured cigarettes criticised for targeting children and bans label claims of “light” or “ultra-light” cigarettes, which anti-smoking advocates argue are no less harmful to one’s health. The size of warning labels will also be increased.
The bill for the first time gives a federal regulator, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), broad authority over tobacco companies. It was welcomed by health advocates and even some major tobacco companies, but may also be challenged in US courts.
“The decades-long effort to protect our children from the harmful effects of tobacco have been victorious,” said Obama, who has struggled to quit smoking himself.
- US Senate approves sweeping tobacco legislation - Jun 12, 2009
- Candy Cigarettes Suffer A Ban - Jun 24, 2010
- US unveils new cigarette warning labels - Jun 22, 2011
- Debate rages whether E-cigarettes are miracle cure or menace - Jan 26, 2011
- Brazil bans smoking in public spaces - Dec 16, 2011
- Indonesian clinic alleges that smoking cures cancer - Apr 13, 2011
- Scary pictures not to dissuade Russian smokers: Poll - May 13, 2012
- Cigarette addicted Obama signs tough tobacco regulations into law - Jun 23, 2009
- Candy Cigarettes Banned By FDA - Jun 24, 2010
- Cigarette packs in Russia to carry warnings from Saturday - Jun 25, 2010
- Public Smoking All Set To Be Banned In Spain - Oct 21, 2010
- Indonesian resort island of Bali bans smoking in all public places - Nov 29, 2011
- 'Silver', 'gold' and 'slim' cigarettes misleading many smokers - Apr 13, 2011
- Beware! Passive smoking riskier than you think (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- Hookah bars violating anti-smoke rules: NGO - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: barack obama, decades, dpa, effects of tobacco, fda, federal regulator, food and drug, food and drug administration, food and drug administration fda, harmful effects of tobacco, health advocates, houses of congress, june 23, law bans, legislation, light cigarettes, tobacco bill, tobacco companies, us food and drug administration, warning labels