Obama says he will not release Bin Laden photosMay 5th, 2011 - 12:44 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) — U.S. President Barack Obama on Wednesday said he will not release photos taken of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden after his death.
Obama made the remarks during an interview with CBS News, the network said, giving no further details about his comments. The interview is scheduled to air on Sunday.
Bin Laden was killed on Sunday during a secret U.S. mission at a compound in the Pakistani city of Abbottabad. Some officials have called on the White House to release the photos, while others argued against it.
Earlier on Wednesday, Sky News cited a U.S. official as saying that the photos of Bin Laden were taken in a hangar and show a part of his skull as well as one of his eyes is missing.
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers on Wednesday also voiced his opposition against releasing the photos. “I don’t want to make the job of our troops serving in places like Iraq and Afghanistan any harder than it already is,” he said. “The risks of release outweigh the benefits.”
Rogers said there is a ‘real risk’ that releasing the photos will only serve to inflame public opinion in the Middle East. “Conspiracy theorists around the world will just claim the photos are doctored anyway,” he said.
Rogers added: “Imagine how the American people would react if Al Qaida killed one of our troops or military leaders, and put photos of the body on the internet. Osama bin Laden is not a trophy - he is dead and let’s now focus on continuing the fight until Al Qaida has been eliminated.”
- Indonesian group holds memorial for Bin Laden - May 06, 2011
- Statement by former U.S. President Clinton on Bin Laden's death - May 02, 2011
- Osama death photos will not be released: Obama - May 05, 2011
- Rumsfeld: Death of Bin Laden a victory in the fight against Islamist terrorism - May 04, 2011
- Palin to Obama: Stop 'pussy-footing around' over release of Osama death photos - May 05, 2011
- US will not release Osama Bin Laden death photos: Obama - May 05, 2011
- US doubts Al Qaeda leader Zawahiri has fled Pakistan - Sep 15, 2011
- Bin Laden died before US raid: Iranian intelligence minister - May 10, 2011
- US will "ultimately" release pictures of bin-Laden's body - May 04, 2011
- Saudi Arabia halts Afghan mediation - Nov 07, 2010
- Bin Laden says America 'will not dream of security' until Palestine has security - May 09, 2011
- Reports: Obama to announce Osama bin Laden is dead - May 02, 2011
- Osama's son threatens to sue US - May 11, 2011
- We won't trot out Osama photos as trophies: Obama (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Statement by U.S. Senator John McCain on Bin Laden's death - May 02, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, al qaida, barack obama, bin laden photos, bno, cbs, cbs news, chairman mike, conspiracy theorists, hangar, house intelligence committee, house intelligence committee chairman, mike rogers, military leaders, osama bin laden, public opinion, qaeda leader, skull, sky news, washington d c