Obama plans to cut down military spendingJanuary 6th, 2012 - 2:16 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Jan 5 (THAINDIAN NEWS) US President Barack Obama is targeting the military as he seeks ways to cut spending. Obama is under enormous pressure to cut the country’s spending as the debt continues to bulge.
US spend the biggest amount on its military than any other nation. Obama made a rare appearance at the Pentagon were he unveiled a plan to cut the military spending. Under the plan, Obama’s administration plans to retire thousands of military personnel in a bid to make the army “leaner.”
Obama told reporters that, “So yes, our military will be leaner but the world must know - the United States is going to maintain our military superiority with armed forces that are agile, flexible and ready for the full range of contingencies and threats.”
Obama says the military will not concentrate their resources at the Asia-Pacific region. According to Obama, the administration will not be increasing the budget of the military at faster rates anymore.
Security analysts have warned that reducing the budget of the military drastically will undermine the effectiveness of the army. This is something that the country cannot compromise on.
According to data from the International Institute for Strategic Studies, the United States spends $739.3bn on its military annually.
- US to cut armed forces: Obama - Jan 06, 2012
- US announces defence budget slash - Jan 27, 2012
- Pentagon braces for budget cuts - Feb 11, 2012
- China willing to promote military ties with US - Aug 25, 2012
- Pentagon seeks 78 billion dollar defense budget cut - Jan 07, 2011
- Britain to axe 20,000 troops - Jul 06, 2012
- US to cut 7,000 Europe-based troops - Jan 13, 2012
- Wipro investing heavily for next growth wave: Premji - Apr 27, 2011
- US House passes Pentagon budget - Jul 20, 2012
- Obama presents budget plan - Feb 14, 2012
- Pak troops linked to abuses could lose American aid - Oct 22, 2010
- US military to have fewer generals and admirals - Dec 30, 2011
- US mulls steep nuclear arsenal cuts - Feb 15, 2012
- US sends warships to Libya - Sep 13, 2012
- Obama sets sights on India, China to revive US economy - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: armed forces, army, asia pacific region, barack obama, budget, bulge, compromise, contingencies, international institute for strategic studies, military personnel, military spending, military superiority, pentagon, rare appearance, security analysts, united states