Obama orders flags at half-mastAugust 27th, 2009 - 6:59 pm ICT by IBNS
By Rohit Dave
Aug 27 (IBNS) All flags were ordered to be flown at half-mast on all official US buildings following the death of Ted Kennedy, according to a presidential proclamation by Barack Obama Wednesday.
“As a mark of respect for the memory of Senator Edward M Kennedy, I hereby order… that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds,” the proclamation said.
The order included flags at “all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels… throughout the United States and its territories and possessions.”
Flags must remain at half-mast until sunset on Sunday and be lowered again until sunset on the day of Kennedy’s burial, it said. The date of the senator’s interment is still to be announced.
Obama’s proclamation paid tribute to “not only one of the greatest senators of our time, but one of the most accomplished Americans ever to serve our democracy.
“Over the past half-century, nearly every major piece of legislation that has advanced the civil rights, health, and economic well-being of the American people bore his name and resulted from his efforts. With his passing, an important chapter in our American story has come to an end,” the proclamation said.
- U.S. astronaut Neil Armstrong's funeral planned for Friday - Aug 28, 2012
- President Obama orders flags to be flown half-staff - Aug 27, 2009
- President Obama calls for moment of silence for victims of Arizona mass shooting - Jan 10, 2011
- Kennedy funeral: Obama to deliver eulogy - Aug 27, 2009
- Indian flag to fly half-mast to mourn Deshmukh death - Aug 14, 2012
- Obama to meet shooting victims in Colorado - Jul 23, 2012
- Nigerian embassies open condolence registers - Jun 06, 2012
- Obama to visit victims of Batman movie shooting - Jul 22, 2012
- Family gathering in Kennedy's final journey - Aug 28, 2009
- Obama Set To Deliver Eulogy At Edward Kennedy's Funeral - Aug 27, 2009
- Obama extends condolences to Fort Hood shooting victims - Nov 07, 2009
- Tight security at Pakistan governor's funeral prayers (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Gurdwara shooting: US officials join prayers at Golden Temple - Aug 10, 2012
- Obama orders US flag at half mast after gurdwara killing - Aug 07, 2012
- China mourns mudslide victims, toll rises to 1,248 (Roundup) - Aug 15, 2010
Tags: barack obama, civil rights, democracy, edward m kennedy, flags at half mast, interment, legislation, military posts, naval vessels, possessions, presidential proclamation, public buildings, rights health, rohit, senator edward, senators, sunset, ted kennedy, tribute, white house