Obama mourns death of former South Korean presidentMay 24th, 2009 - 5:22 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 24 (Xinhua) US President Barack Obama Saturday mourned the death of former South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun.
“I was saddened by the news of the death of former president Roh Moo-hyun of the Republic of Korea,” Obama said in a statement. “During his tenure, President Roh contributed to the strong and vital relationship between the United States and the Republic of Korea.”
“On behalf of government of the United States, I offer my condolences to his family and to the Korean people,” he added.
Roh Moo-hyun died of external head injury after falling down a mountain near his home earlier Saturday. Police were invstiating whether it was an accident or suicide.
He and his family have been involved in a corruption investigation.
- South Korean Star Park-Yong-Ha Found Dead In His Residence - Jun 30, 2010
- South Korea labels North Korea 'enemy' in latest defense White Paper - Dec 30, 2010
- Readout of President Obama's calls with Republic of Korea President Lee Myung-bak and Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso - May 26, 2009
- Former South Korean president dead in apparent suicide (Lead) - May 23, 2009
- South Korea mourns Nobel laureate Kim Dae Jung's death (Lead) - Aug 18, 2009
- Former South Korean president Roh found dead - May 23, 2009
- South Korea to pardon 2,500 convicts - Aug 13, 2010
- Thousands attend former South Korean president's funeral - Aug 23, 2009
- Statement from President Obama on the death of former South Korean president Dae-jung - Aug 18, 2009
- PM condoles North Korean leader's death - Dec 21, 2011
- Former South Korean premier arrested on bribery charge - Dec 18, 2009
- Obama mourns death of former Czech president - Dec 19, 2011
- Obama, Ban mourn death of former Czechoslovakia president (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- South Korea's former first lady in Pyongyang for condolences - Dec 26, 2011
- UN chief 'saddened' by Afghan attacks - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: barack obama, condolences, corruption investigation, former president, former south korean president, head injury, korean people, may 24, president washington, republic of korea, roh moo hyun, south korean president, suicide, tenure, vital relationship, xinhua