Obama meets KarzaiSeptember 21st, 2011 - 4:00 am ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 21 (IANS) US President Barack Obama met his Afghan counterpart Hamid Karzai, their first meeting since the US laid out plans in June for a transition of security in Afghanistan.
Obama Tuesday denounced as a “senseless act of violence” the assassination of former Afghan president Burhanuddin Rabbani, who was serving as chairman of the Afghan High Peace Council, Xinhua reported.
Rabbani was killed in a suicide attack at his residence in Kabul Tuesday.
According to the White House, Obama termed Rabbani’s death a “tragic loss”
“He was a man who cared very deeply about Afghanistan. We both believe that despite this incident that we will not be deterred from creating a path whereby Afghans can live in freedom, safety, security and prosperity,” Obama said.
Karzai called Rabbani “an Afghan patriot who sacrificed his life”.
The Afghan president left the UN meeting early to fly back to Afghanistan, the White House said.
Obama announced in June that 10,000 US troops will leave Afghanistan by the end of this year and another 23,000 will return home by September 2012.
- PM condemns Afghan leader Rabbani's 'senseless' killing - Sep 21, 2011
- Peaceful Afghanistan critical for Pakistan: Gilani - Feb 01, 2012
- Former Afghan president Rabbani killed in blast - Sep 20, 2011
- It was cordial meeting with Karzai: Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- India blames 'forces of terror' for Rabbani killing - Sep 20, 2011
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- Khar to visit Afghanistan Wednesday - Jan 31, 2012
- Rabbani to brief India on Taliban reconciliation - Jul 13, 2011
- Khurshid represents India at prayers for Rabbani - Sep 24, 2011
- Obama, Karzai reaffirm commitment to Afghan mission - Aug 08, 2011
- Islamabad hosts trilateral summit (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Karzai makes implicit criticism of Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011
- Obama, Karzai talk on Afghan situation - Mar 09, 2012
- Pakistan media note Delhi-Kabul strategic links - Oct 05, 2011
- UNSC condemns former Afghan president's killing - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,