Obama, McCain begin hunt for vice presidentsMay 23rd, 2008 - 1:34 am ICT by admin
Washington, May 22 (DPA) Barack Obama has begun his search for a running mate as he closes in on the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN reported Thursday, citing a party activist in Washington. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, is also narrowing down his choices and plans to meet with three possible vice presidential options over the weekend, The New York Times reported.
Obama has picked Jim Johnson, who also ran 2004 Democratic candidate John Kerry’s selection process, to begin screening potential candidates, according to CNN.
Obama Thursday said he remained focussed on winning the Democratic nomination against Hillary Clinton, and his campaign would not comment on the report.
The Illinois senator is less than 100 delegates from reaching the 2,025 total needed to stand for his party in the November general election.
Only three primary contests are left, ending June 3.
McCain, a senator from Arizona, will meet with former presidential candidate Mitt Romney, Florida Governor Charlie Christ and Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal at his ranch in Arizona, the Times reported citing sources in the Republican Party.
The picks of both Obama, 46, and McCain, 71, will be closely scrutinized. McCain’s advancing age gives him greater reason to choose a candidate viewed as capable of taking over the top office.
Obama, who was elected to the US Senate in 2004, will be looking to make up for a relative lack of inexperience, likely picking either a state governor or a candidate with strong national security credentials.
- Romney creates history in clinching Republican nomination (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Mitt Romney clinches Republican nomination - May 30, 2012
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- After five-state sweep, Romney readies to battle Obama (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South - Mar 13, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- John McCain endorses Mitt Romney - Jan 05, 2012
- Romney picks up two big endorsements - Mar 30, 2012
- Latino voters sticking with Obama, Democrats: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Mitt Romney is backed by Kelly Ayotte - Nov 23, 2011
- Romney pads up lead as Santorum wins Kansas - Mar 11, 2012
- Obama needs Palin on the same ticket to win Arizona in 2012 - Feb 03, 2011
- John McCain ranked most conservative US senator in 2010 - Feb 25, 2011
- Haley, Jindal in Romney's VP guessing game - May 05, 2012
- Crucial primaries await Republican front-runners - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: barack obama, bobby jindal, citing sources, democratic nomination, democratic presidential nomination, florida governor charlie, hillary clinton, illinois senator, john kerry, john mccain, louisiana governor, mitt romney, obama mccain, party activist, relative lack, republican nominee, running mate, security credentials, us senate, vice presidents