Obama leaves for France after busy Germany visitJune 6th, 2009 - 3:04 am ICT by IANS
Ramstein (Germany), June 6 (DPA) US President Barack Obama flew Friday evening from the US airbase in Ramstein, ending a busy day of activities in Germany.
Numerous American families were on hand to wave farewell to Obama as he boarded Air Force One for his flight to Paris.
Obama had wound up his day in Germany by visiting wounded American soldiers at the US military hospital in nearby Landstuhl. The visit with the soldiers wounded in fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan took place privately, with no media in attendance.
The US president had arrived in Germany late Thursday evening from Cairo, where he held a landmark speech making a call for a better dialogue between the US and the world’s 1.5 million Muslims.
On Friday, he toured the historic eastern German city of Dresden and also met there with Chancellor Angela Merkel, before proceeding to the former Nazi concentration camp Buchenwald which was liberated by US soldiers in April 1945 in the waning days of World War II.
- Obama begins European tour with visit to Germany - Jun 05, 2009
- Obama meets Merkel at start of Germany visit - Jun 05, 2009
- Obama visits former Nazi concentration camp - Jun 05, 2009
- Obama urges action on Mideast peace (Lead) - Jun 05, 2009
- Germany unsure of Afghan withdrawal in 2014: Merkel - Mar 12, 2012
- Obama, Merkel ask Gaddafi to step down - Jun 08, 2011
- German politicians put pressure on UK to scrap Bomber Command memorial - Sep 07, 2010
- Terror for political goals unacceptable, Germany to Pakistan - Dec 12, 2010
- Germany to give $190 mn to Afghanistan after 2014 - May 17, 2012
- Neo-Nazis planning massive march in Germany to protest London memorial to Dresden bombers - Feb 05, 2011
- US troops were also a part of the 'Victory Day' parade on the Red Square - May 11, 2010
- German Chancellor Merkel to visit India next year - Dec 12, 2010
- Iran's no delays Merkel's India-bound plane, Germany upset (Second Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 01, 2011
- China seeks closer ties with Germany - Feb 03, 2012
- US, France, Britain, Germany discuss Libya - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: air force one, american families, american soldiers, angela merkel, barack obama, busy day, cairo, chancellor angela merkel, concentration camp buchenwald, dpa, farewell, fighting in iraq, friday evening, german city, landmark speech, landstuhl, military hospital, nazi concentration camp, nazi concentration camp buchenwald, world war ii