Obama first president to use Lincoln’s BibleJanuary 20th, 2009 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 20 (IANS) Barack Obama Tuesday became the first US president to swear on the Bible that Abraham Lincoln used for his inauguration 147 years ago. US presidents are not constitutionally required to be sworn in using a Bible, though most do, Theodore Roosevelt being the most notable exception.
With expectations from Obama riding high, his choice of the Lincoln Bible is seen as a powerful symbol of a historic occasion.
Presidential Inaugural Committee executive director Emmett Beliveau said Obama was “deeply honoured” to have the first use of the Lincoln Bible since the Civil War to “provide a powerful connection to our common past and common heritage”.
This was the first time since Lincoln on March 4, 1861, that this Bible was used for a presidential swearing in.
So far, George Washington’s Bible has been a popular choice, used by Warren Harding, Dwight Eisenhower and George W. Bush.
Other presidents have opted for personal Bibles - Richard Nixon used two belonging to his family, and Bill Clinton chose his grandmother’s.
Facing a nation divided nation, Lincoln used his first inaugural address to call for national unity, arguing that the US constitution was created “to form a more perfect Union”.
The Lincoln Bible, an 1853 Oxford University Press edition, is about six inches long, four inches wide and less than two inches thick.
Lincoln, after taking the oath, had kissed the book, following a tradition started by George Washington.
After the inauguration, the Bible will be on display at the Library of Congress from Feb 12 to May 9 as part of an exhibition for the 200th anniversary of Lincoln’s birth.
- Obama to be sworn in using the Lincoln bible - Dec 24, 2008
- Abraham Lincoln's Bible to come out of archives for Obama - Dec 24, 2008
- Barack Obama to be sworn in on Lincoln Inaugural Bible - Dec 24, 2008
- Obama is seventh US President to retake oath - Jan 24, 2009
- Obama to take oath on Lincoln's Bible - Dec 24, 2008
- Obama, Hillary Clinton again top most admired list - Dec 28, 2011
- Barack Obama steps into history to become US president - Jan 21, 2009
- Obama, Biden to take train to Washington for inauguration - Dec 16, 2008
- Obama may not be taking oath on Lincolns Bible after all! - Jan 20, 2009
- Americans rate Ronald Reagan as best-ever US President - Feb 19, 2011
- History at noon: Obama is US president (Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Poll ranks Obama as the 15th best president of US - Jul 02, 2010
- Obama scripts history at noon (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Obama children's book to be released in November - Sep 15, 2010
- India as a rising power good for the US: Obama - Jun 04, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,