Obama condemns Quran burning planSeptember 9th, 2010 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 9 (IANS) US President Barack Obama Thursday condemned the plans by a Florida church to burn copies of the Quran on the anniversary of the 9/11 terror attack, saying it could endanger the lives of US military personnel serving in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Terry Jones, the pastor at the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, is planning to conduct an “International Burn a Quran Day” Saturday.
If the church went ahead with its plans, the burning could endanger US military personnel serving in Pakistan and Afghanistan, Omaba said.
“Look, this is a recruitment bonanza for Al Qaeda. You could have serious violence in places like Pakistan and Afghanistan. This could increase the recruitment of individuals who’d be willing to blow themselves up in American cities, or European cities,” Obama said in an interview to ABC television.
Obama said he hoped Jones “understands that what he’s proposing to do is completely contrary to our values as Americans, that this country has been built on the notion of freedom and religious tolerance”.
“And as a very practical matter, I just want him to understand that this stunt that he is talking about pulling could greatly endanger our young men and women who are in uniform,” the president said.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has already condemned the pastor’s plan, and dmanded that he abandon it.
- Quran burning would be a recruitment bonanza for Al Qaeda: Obama (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Pakistan condemns Quran burning in US - May 03, 2012
- Gen. Petraeus warns US church plans to burn Koran on 9/11 will hit Afghan campaign - Sep 07, 2010
- Pastor cancels plans to burn Qurans, then backtracks (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- We are not at war with Islam, says Obama - Sep 11, 2010
- US pastor rethinking on cancelling Quran burning (Third Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- BJP's Hussain condemns US pastor's Quran burning move - Sep 10, 2010
- U.S. government, Interpol warn of violent anti-U.S. demonstrations around the world - Sep 10, 2010
- US commander in Afghanistan asks church not to burn Quran - Sep 07, 2010
- Quran controversy prompts US travel alert - Sep 10, 2010
- Jolie Denounces The Quran Burning Plan By Christian Church - Sep 09, 2010
- Dove World Outreach Church To Go Ahead With Qur'an Burning Plan - Sep 08, 2010
- US pastor who vowed to burn Quran billed $180,000 - Sep 20, 2010
- White House backs Gen. Petraeus' opposition to Koran burning - Sep 08, 2010
- Petraeus Warns Koran Burning Endangers Troops, Church Fires Back - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: abc television, al qaeda, american cities, barack obama, bonanza, european cities, florida church, gainesville florida, hillary clinton, men and women, military personnel, notion, omaba, recruitment, religious tolerance, secretary of state, terror attack, terry jones, world outreach center, young men