Obama condemns Iran for crackdown on demonstrationsDecember 29th, 2009 - 4:00 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 29 (DPA) US President Barack Obama Monday condemned Iran for violently cracking down on demonstrations, warning the Islamic state it will not succeed in denying people their universal rights.
“The United States joins with the international community in strongly condemning the violent and unjust suppression of innocent Iranian citizens,” Obama said while on winter vacation in Hawaii.
Daily mass demonstrations against Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad began last week, producing violent clashes with authorities that have left at least eight people dead. More than 300 people have been arrested, according to official media.
“The decision of Iran’s leaders to govern through fear and tyranny will not succeed,” Obama said.
Obama called on Iran to release detained protestors and praised those Iranians who have shown their desire for greater human rights.
“The world has watched with deep admiration for the courage and the conviction of the Iranian people who are part of Iran’s great and enduring civilization,” he said.
“We will continue to bear witness to the extraordinary events that are taking place there. And I’m confident that history will be on the side of those who seek justice,” he added.
- Iran offers Britain peacekeepers to deal with riots - Aug 12, 2011
- Obama calls on Iran to stop repression - Jun 21, 2009
- Mubarak's exit will see emergence of new Middle East: Iran's Ahmadinejad - Feb 12, 2011
- Israel is cancerous tumour: Ahmadinejad - Aug 17, 2012
- Ahmadinejad calls on foreign forces to leave Bahrain - Apr 04, 2011
- Ahmadinejad to unveil nuclear achievements Wednesday - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran's Ahmadinejad slams Libya crackdown on protesters - Feb 24, 2011
- Iran not to retreat an iota from its rights - May 12, 2012
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- Iran vows support to Syrian leadership - Mar 31, 2012
- Statement by President Obama on Iran - Nov 04, 2009
- Ahmadinejad wishes to visit London for Olympics - May 18, 2012
- Iran not to retreat on nuke programme (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Execution of Iranian dissidents was murder: US - Jan 29, 2010
Tags: admiration, barack obama, civilization, conviction, crackdown, dpa, extraordinary events, iranian citizens, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, iranians, islamic state, mahmoud ahmadinejad, mass demonstrations, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, protestors, tyranny, universal rights, violent clashes, winter vacation