Obama comes calling at the White House at the door of historyJanuary 20th, 2009 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 20 (IANS) Knocking at the door of history, Barack Obama came calling at the White House to meet with outgoing President George Bush, as hundreds of thousands gathered at the Capitol for Tuesday’s inauguration of America’s first black president.Arriving in “The Beast”, Obama’s 2009 Cadillac Presidential Limousine with doors designed to withstand a bomb blast, Obama and wife Michelle were greeted in the front portico of the storied presidential mansion by Bush and still the first lady Laura.
Michelle handed over a gift box tied with a red ribbon to Laura before going in for a cup of coffee. Vice President-elect Joe Biden and his wife Jill arrived at the White House shortly before the Obamas.
After coffee the Obamas, Bushes and Bidens headed for the Capitol in a procession with the president and his successor in one limousine and Michelle and Laura in another.
Earlier, the Obamas attended a prayer service at the historic St. John’s Episcopal Church and then headed to the nearby White House. The 9 a.m. church service kicked off a day of events for the man who will become the nation’s 44th president at noon.
Known as the “Presidents Church”, nation’s leaders from Abraham Lincoln to George W. Bush have prayed there with Pew 54 designated the President’s Pew.
Washington awoke Tuesday crowded and excited with the inauguration of a new president. Thousands arrived before daylight Tuesday in standing-room-only trains. They carried blankets and wore Obama scarves to ward off the wind chills below 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
As many as 2 million people are expected to crowd into the area between the Capitol, the White House and the Lincoln Memorial as Obama takes the oath of office.
- Crowds pour in as Obama prepares to step into history - Jan 20, 2009
- From Bush to Obama, traditions anchor inaugural ceremony - Jan 18, 2009
- Bush to unveil his portrait in White House - May 19, 2012
- Obama scripts history at noon (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Obama attends historic Washington church on Easter - Apr 25, 2011
- Nothing bitter about leaving Washington, says Bush on return to hometown Texas - Jan 21, 2009
- 'The Beast' to give Obama a safe ride in India (With Image) - Oct 28, 2010
- Michelle Obama to attend Betty Ford's funeral - Jul 12, 2011
- White House Becomes Pink House To Mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month - Oct 15, 2010
- Obama's Oval Office gets a makeover - Sep 01, 2010
- Obama must ensure his prez campaign does not derail: Experts - Mar 15, 2011
- About two million converge to watch Obamas swearing-in ceremony - Jan 20, 2009
- Obama's whistle-stop tour, links past with historic present (Lead) - Jan 17, 2009
- ''The Greatest'' salutes Obama - Jan 20, 2009
- US presidential limo 'The Beast' will not go green - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: 44th president, abraham lincoln, barack obama, bidens, bomb blast, cadillac presidential limousine, cup of coffee, episcopal church, first black president, george w bush, joe biden, lincoln memorial, prayer service, president elect, president george bush, presidential mansion, red ribbon, wife jill, wife michelle, wind chills