Obama calls Greek election positive signJune 19th, 2012 - 3:18 am ICT by IANS
Los Cabos (Mexico), June 19 (IANS) US President Barack Obama Monday called the election in Greece a positive sign and hoped the country would re-emerge from its debt crisis threatening the financial stability of the eurozone.
“I think the election in Greece yesterday (Sunday) indicates a positive prospect for not only them forming a government, but also them working constructively with their international partners in order that they can continue on the path of reform,” he said.
His remarks came after the pro-bailout conservative New Democracy party beat the anti-bailout leftist Syriza party in Greece’s crucial election Sunday. The new development eases market fears about a Greek exit from the eurozone, Xinhua reported.
Standing beside Mexican President Felipe Calderon after their bilateral talks on the sidelines of the G20 summit here, Obama said the G20 members will work together to make sure the economy grows, the situation stabilizes and confidence returns to the markets.
The summit, Monday and Tuesday, will allow the 20 most powerful economies to take “one important step in a series of steps that are going to be required to continue to improve global economic prospects”, the US president said.
- Obama, Manmohan to work together to boost global economy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Hope G20 can help end global economic crisis: PM - Jun 18, 2012
- New Democracy party leads in Greek polls - Jun 18, 2012
- G20 may contribute over $450 bn to IMF: Calderon - Jun 20, 2012
- Obama, Manmohan to work together to strengthen global economy - Jun 15, 2012
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Samaras begins coalition talks for a Greece government (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- 'India more vulnerable, World in deep trouble' (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Chinese, Mexican presidents discuss ties - Jun 18, 2012
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government - Jun 18, 2012
- PM to press for resolute action on eurozone crisis (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Greece votes on EU bailout - Jun 17, 2012
- Greek referendum plan plunges financial markets into frenzy - Nov 02, 2011
- India will grow faster: PM to 'impatient' citizens, investors (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Europe agrees to 1 trillion euro fund for new bailout plan - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: bailout, barack obama, bilateral talks, confidence returns, debt crisis, democracy party, eurozone, fears, financial stability, g20 summit, global economic prospects, greece, international partners, los cabos, los cabos mexico, mexican president felipe calderon, new democracy, president felipe calderon, sidelines, xinhua