Obama calls Abbas, favours direct Palestine-Israel talksJuly 10th, 2010 - 11:27 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 10 (IANS) US President Barack Obama called up Palestinian National Authority (PNA) Chairman Mahmoud Abbas and discussed ways to “advance to direct talks” towards building peace between Palestine and Israel, the White House said.
Obama, in the phone talk Friday, expressed his “strong support” for Abbas’ leadership on behalf of the Palestinian people, and noted progress in the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian proximity talks, Xinhua quoted a White House statement as saying.
The two leaders “reviewed ways to advance to direct talks in the near term, in order to reach an agreement that ends the conflict, and establishes an independent and viable Palestinian state living side by side in peace and security with Israel”, the statement said.
The talk, which came three days after the Obama’s meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Washington, was widely viewed to be reflecting Obama’s ambition to push Israel and the Palestinians to make peace deal as soon as possible, the report said.
At a joint appearance with Netanyahu Tuesday, Obama said he hopes the direct peace talks could be held in September. Netanyahu echoed that Israel believes peace is the best option for itself and the Palestinians and would change the entire Middle East.
Under pressure mounted by the Obama administration, the Israeli government and the PNA resumed their talks in May, although in an indirect way mediated by US special envoy George Mitchell.
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Obama convenes Mideast peace talks - Sep 01, 2010
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- US concerned over Israeli housing construction in West Bank - Aug 10, 2011
- Israel to offer "extensive and tempting" withdrawal plan to Palestine - Aug 15, 2010
- Palestine becomes Unesco member; US upset - Nov 01, 2011
- Netanyahu leaves for US for peace talks relaunch - Aug 31, 2010
- Netanyahu expects direct talks to begin in two weeks - Aug 01, 2010
- Netanyahu to meet Egyptian president - Apr 28, 2010
- Palestine rejects US call to start direct talks - Jul 18, 2010
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Israel-Palestine direct talks end in Egypt - Sep 14, 2010
- Obama praises Netanyahu for easing Gaza blockade - Jul 07, 2010
- Arab League for direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks - Jul 30, 2010
Tags: barack obama, benjamin netanyahu, direct palestine, favours, george mitchell, israel talks, israeli government, israeli prime minister, mahmoud abbas, minister benjamin netanyahu, palestine and israel, palestine israel, palestinian national authority, palestinians, peace deal, peace talks, prime minister benjamin, proximity talks, viable palestinian state, xinhua